Ty175

andy.t

Help,every time I think I could have fixed my ty175 I then do a trial on a warm day,like today,and it starts to cut out,no spark.As far as I know I have checked or replaced every thing that could go wrong so now it looks like I will purchase an electronic ignition.So the question is should I go for the one sold by Trail and Trial or the one on the Majesty trials site,looking at them they dont look the same and from the spec they give different advance curves.Anyone got any advice? please.

TRAIL AND TRIAL

MAJESTY TRIALS

Help,every time I think I could have fixed my ty175 I then do a trial on a warm day,like today,and it starts to cut out,no spark.As far as I know I have checked or replaced every thing that could go wrong so now it looks like I will purchase an electronic ignition.So the question is should I go for the one sold by Trail and Trial or the one on the Majesty trials site,looking at them they dont look the same and from the spec they give different advance curves.Anyone got any advice? please.

TRAIL AND TRIAL

MAJESTY TRIALS

I suggest you call a chap by the name of colin on 07815977323,

he will sell you an electronic ignition at a realistic price unlike the two dealers you have put links to.

He aint Greedy like some....

Edited by pitley

swooshdave,just to put you in the picture,when the bike first started to play up I checked the HT coil and didnt get a good reading on the low tension side, so a new HT coil was fitted,then I had done a few trials in the cold weather and had no problems,thinking I had cured the problem the next trial was a warm day,after a few sections it cut out,checked for a spark and found none,left for five mins and your away again.Then some trials later after changing the wiring the condenser,heating up the source coil to try and make it break down,and thinking I had cured it on a cold day only to find out on a warm day it would cut out again.So as you can see its now driving me mad,I can only think it is the source coil but I have kind of give up trying to prove it,well almost as its on top of my central heating pump getting a good roasting,I will check it later with my multimeter.And the spark plug colour is spot on,when it runs.

pitley,thanks for that phone number,I will give Colin a call.

swooshdave,in all the time that I have had this problem I have changed also(HT coil as mentioned),the condenser,the wiring to the HT coil,the points,cut off the tail from the source coil and soldered a new wire to it.re soldered the earth tab on the other end of the source coil,raised the coil off the back plate just to give a little more air gap,checked the resistance of the source coil which was OK(1.6 ohm) when cold and only raised a little when heated up which is what you would expect.

Hi,

I don't know how relevent this is but I had a similar problem on my nippers ty80.

Bike would work perfectly intermittently. Tried a coil off any ty worked ok. Purchased a new coil, same problem.

Had the source coil rewound (south west windings, excellent service), new condenser and points, new wire to coil, still no good.

Turned out to be faulty new coil, needent have spent the extra money/ hours head scratching.

What I'm getting at, have you tried borrowing known working parts, could be a duff new one.

Try connecting a volt meter to your codenser output wire and earth when bike is hot, kick it over and see if you get a volt reading.

good luck

That was going to be my next suggestion too. I've heard of one too many faulty new parts.

Looking back at your old posts it seems that in December you replaced the HT coil and you thought it was the issue. There is the chance that the new coil is also faulty.

I also noticed that you've added a boost bottle. Does it get warm at all? I don't think that it would but it is located up near the coil.

ttr250man & swooshdave,thanks for that info,you could be correct about the faulty HT coil even though it was new.I will try and get it hot enough to try and find out if the low tension side gives up and check the volts,not sure what voltage I should find but the new coil was rated at 6V and has a primary resistance of 1 ohm which is not what my book says it should be(4.5 ohm),however the man who sold it to me said he has sold loads and they all work OK,it was one of those dealers mentioned earlier,but he was probably correct.

The boost bottle works fine and does not transfer any major amount of heat.

I went through a similar problem, but it was hard to start also. Swapped coils, changed condenser, did make a small improvement to start.

Main thing I noted was a burnt out lighting coil, behind this the wiring was also affected (shorting), fixed this, still no good.

Got the coil rewound, no luck. Changed out stator and coils with another set and ran like a clock.

Looking back with a mechanic, we come to the conclusion the burnt out lighting coil was affecting the magnetic flux in the flywheel to not give enough field to the ignition coil.

Also BJ Racing (USA) sell one of the UK CDI's also, which one is it from the above mentioned suppliers?

Thanks 29r & subanator,thanks for those bits of info,I did check the earth path out some time ago and it checked out OK,and the lighting coils have been removed so thats not the problem.I think the bike is possessed and will need to have an exorcism carried out on it,if that fails then I'm off to the Stafford Bike Show on sunday with a wad of cash to do a deal on an electronic ignition system.

Just incase anyone was interested I purchased a new electronic ignition from HERE. I purcased two at the Stafford Bike Show on Sunday,one for me and one for my mate and got a very good deal on the day. It was very easy to fit and the bike started up easy and looks like it is pulling strong. I will have to give the bike a good test which will be on my next Trial and I will post any results,so far all looks good.