Arm Pump

ham2

I might be actually entering a trial :rolleyes: in the near future after a long lay-off so I know I am looking at a bit of arm pump (it's inevitable).

Apart from the obvious ''just ride..ride..ride..'' does anyone out there have a way/technique/ritual? of reducing the muscle-lock that we all experience from time-to-time??

Any answers greatfully received,

Wayne

i suffer from arm pump too :rolleyes: I have managed to reduce it by using a "stick of pain" :D sounds rude i know.... basically if you chop a third off a broom handle, drill a hole in the middle, tie off some string through the hole and attach a weight to the other end.

Use this to train your forearms by winding up the string until the weight is at the top (as if you are opening the throttle) then lower it using the opposite movement (shutting off the throttle)

You can use this as often/little as you like...

I do ten reps of the above with a 2.5Kg weight on the end four times a week and I have noticed a vast improvement, still makes me want to cry everytime I do it tho :barf:

Hope this helps ;)

Use this to train your forearms by winding up the string until the weight is at the top (as if you are opening the throttle) then lower it using the opposite movement (shutting off the throttle)

Hope this helps :barf:

Do you say Broom Broom whilst your doing this. :rolleyes:

I might be actually entering a trial :rolleyes: in the near future after a long lay-off so I know I am looking at a bit of arm pump (it's inevitable).

Apart from the obvious ''just ride..ride..ride..'' does anyone out there have a way/technique/ritual? of reducing the muscle-lock that we all experience from time-to-time??

Any answers greatfully received,

Wayne

This may sound stupid but try to relax yourself and your grip on the handlebars in the section and on the course between them.

Try to use your legs rather than your arms to take the strain of the bike when possible.

Breathing regularly is a good tip too, the more oxygen you can get into your system the less pump you should get. Make sure you are taking breaths all the way through the section, some people breath once at the start of a section and then nothing till they gasp at the end.

Stretching, warming up and ensuring you are properly hydrated before riding will help too.

Ensure your handlebars and controls are set at the correct angle to get optimum ergonomics.

During enduros I use a technique to help loosen my grip, I only use my thumb and index finger to hold onto the grip from time to time when the terrain allows and this gives the forearms a rest and therefore reduces the effect of arm pump.

Hope this helps

Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome (CECS). Compartment Syndrome

Arm pump or fatigue ca be caused by arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrom, TMJ issues, atlas sublaxion, under or over developed muscles, blah blah blah

1. Make sure your everything is working properly on yourself and the bike. Nothing pumps up the forearms faster than a hard to pull clutch or misalignment in the body. If your shoulder isn't in line everything has to work harder.

2. Drink lots of quality water during day. Make sure its high in electrolytes.

3. Avoid junk food. Proper diet and nutrition are vital if you want to be work more efficently.

4. Sleep well. If you body is tired your muscles will fatigue faster.

5. Don

This may sound stupid but try to relax yourself and your grip on the handlebars in the section and on the course between them.

Try to use your legs rather than your arms to take the strain of the bike when possible.

Breathing regularly is a good tip too, the more oxygen you can get into your system the less pump you should get. Make sure you are taking breaths all the way through the section, some people breath once at the start of a section and then nothing till they gasp at the end.

Stretching, warming up and ensuring you are properly hydrated before riding will help too.

Ensure your handlebars and controls are set at the correct angle to get optimum ergonomics.

During enduros I use a technique to help loosen my grip, I only use my thumb and index finger to hold onto the grip from time to time when the terrain allows and this gives the forearms a rest and therefore reduces the effect of arm pump.

Hope this helps

Good advice there! You generally get forearm pump within the first 30 mins. When you get arm pump take a break for 10 mins, after that you will probably be fine. Not sure if it's because your muscles are warmed up or because you tend to relax after you have been riding for a while.

Or you could try riding no handed - thats got to work.

To be honest all the weight training stuff and exercises is a load of non sense. You will not be able to rid of arm pump, unless you have the operation all the mx'ers have! The best things to do are;

1) Breath well! - breath clearly deep through your nose and out out mouth like a runner. This will help it pass a lot quicker.

2) as other people mentioned, make sure your bike is set up properly and all the controls are comfortable.

3) If you wear gloves dont do the strap up too tight. Some people cut the cuffs off their shirts too.

4) Learn to relax your grip. Perhaps get some softer compund and thinner grips.

5) Keep well hydrated.

if you read mx'ers forums and sites, there are literally hundreds of different methods people use. Some people go out on the bike the day before a race and dont get it then. Lots of people have tried that supplement called 'pump-x' and apparently it just makes you ill!

I've found the best one is to put 'Deep heat' on your arms and breath properly and havnt had much trouble since.

Hope this helps!

Hi All ; As a 50ish out of shape , smoker who never gets to ride enough ... The way I've learned to control arm pump and musclecramps in general is simple !!! I sit at the entry gate of every section a moment or two and take 4 or 5 DEEP , SLOW contolled breaths ,exhaling completley while thinking about my line . But the most influancial thing for me is bananas !!! :rolleyes::barf: !!! I eat a few before the event begins and try to eat one every loop ! And lots of water . But also remember , just relax and have fun , Thats why most of us do this anyways ! And also the only one thats gonna complain about how you did ( in most cases) at our levels is ourselves!!!

Just have a good time and relax ...

Glenn :D

Edited by axulsuv

I had some issues with arm pump so started training my grip regulary. ( wrist rolls, grippers, the gyro thing, etc.) Arm pump went away but was replaced with what I would call concrete arms. It only happens on extremely long, grip intensive, climbs. My forearms get as hard as concrete and hurt pretty bad but still work....not like the mush arm pump feel. Has anyone found a cure?

Forearms as hard as concrete is arm pump - it's compartment syndrome, where the muscles in the forearm haven't got room to expand fully when exercised. The increased bloodflow from the exercise has nowhere to go if the muscles can't expand so you get the 'concrete' feeling due to the pressure of the blood in the muscle - it's why weights and other training won't really help as all you are doing is building the muscle up when it is already too big..

The operation for compartment syndrome cuts the fascia, which is the membrane holding all the muscles in place, from end to end so that it no longer restricts the expansion of the muscles. This enables the muscles to fully expand and allow the blood to flow through freely. I had it done about 4 years ago, worked well for a couple of years but it's slowly come back and is now the same as it was. I've had it for 25 odd years and it's now got to the stage where I've had to give up enduros before I kill or seriously injure myself and I can barely ride a modern trials bike anymore due to the constant clutch/brake control that is required which aggravates it. Old style riding without constant clutch/brake use I can just about get away with so I can at least still ride.

I know what you mean woody it get to the point where you cant control the bike. Have a look on the adrenaline trip forums and search for armpump. There is loads of topics in there about it. Its about finding what works for you. From doing enduros you learn that you get armpump really early on but if you can, try to ride through it and you wont have it for the rest of the day. Ive seen some people standing around at the start with those gripper things doing the exercise before they start. The idea is to get armpump before you ride so you wont have it.

It is an extremely vast topic and you will have to try all sorts of things, but deffinatly breathe well and keep hydrated.

• 2 weeks later...

Having moved into the 'Over 50' class I have more than my fair share of physical failings! I have looked at a few sports injury sites and decided to try some 'compression clothing' this is basically bits of clothing that apply controlled pressure to various muscle groups, you can get long socks, shorts, vests, tee shirts, long sleeved shirts and, possibly of most interest, arm tubes. I have problems with my right shoulder (old racing injury) and am going to try a short sleeved top to see if it holds the crunchy mess together! Do a Google on Evolution Sports and look at the Sport Skins compression clothing. I will let you know if I find any benefit.