Which Or What Coolant In My 290?

beta bodger

Has anyone used the Maxima Coolanol stuff that is recommended by RYP? I have used basic car antifreeze in the past and it has seemed to be fine. I am not sure if this might affect the seals though......

Having recently found milky oil im wondering if this was the cause?

Edited by Beta Bodger

Sounds like water pump seal just "went bad" it happens.

I use Coolanol in my 2000 2.9, but before that I was using pre-mixed 50/50 auto antifreeze.

never had it overheat with either one so it must do the job. But I switched to the Coolanol based on a friend's recommendation. He made some persuasive arguments. Or I have been "duped" not sure but I am happy anyways.

There are TWO seals on the waterpump shaft on all the later bikes since I think mid '01, along with a external drain hole in the front of the case as a weep hole.

Coolant cannot leak past seal 1 and get to seal 2 without exiting hole!(unless hole is blocked) they will leak externally! So milky gearbox oil is unlikely due to this, but much more likely to running in water.

The gearbox vent tube should be run under the carb and up over the fuel line inlet to the carb, then downhill to the skidplate or just so below. This arrangement helps prevent a deep water dive and shock cooling from sucking water back up into the gearbox, but is not infowlable. If you have been diving, best to change your oil! And ck you maggie cover!

I am sure coolanol or water wetter is good, but i never needed it so far, but it is premixed and convenient. When mixing your ethelene glycol based(not HOAT) antifreeze, distilled water is best!

As the corrosion inhibitors are what wear out, annual changes are probably best. :D

Edited by copemech