Splatter Tips

Does anyone have any tips for splatting big objects?

99% of people will tell me all you need is balls and to just rev the engine and dump the clutch, Ive got the balls (and the stupidity) and quickly realised that theres alot more to it than that.

Im looking to get as much lift as possible from my splats, currently trying them using a kicker but not getting the desired height from it.

My usual technique for rocks is punching the front wheel into the rock to get that "spring" effect, this seems the work great for me but I cant seem to get over anything more than 5ft using it.

any advice is welcome!

All the best

Tom

For anything bigger than that you shouldn't be hitting it with your front wheel at all, the back wheel should hit first over half way up the step. To do this imagine you were on flat ground and someone asked you to loop the bike. Basically you just rev the engine, bounce on the suspension and then pull back and let out the clutch and pretend you were trying to do a back flip. Obviously the step is in the way so you dont do a backflip (if you do it right).

As the backwheel hits let the bike ride up the step, so your backside is right over the end up the rear mudguard. As the front end starts to drop down pull yourself back up into normal riding position.

hope that helps.

For anything bigger than that you shouldn't be hitting it with your front wheel at all, the back wheel should hit first over half way up the step. To do this imagine you were on flat ground and someone asked you to loop the bike. Basically you just rev the engine, bounce on the suspension and then pull back and let out the clutch and pretend you were trying to do a back flip. Obviously the step is in the way so you dont do a backflip (if you do it right).

As the backwheel hits let the bike ride up the step, so your backside is right over the end up the rear mudguard. As the front end starts to drop down pull yourself back up into normal riding position.

hope that helps.

I'd be careful taking advice from a man that looks like a donkey..........

:D

I took advice from a sheep once and it wasnt half bad...

as for the splatters, I think one of my mistakes is Im approaching too fast, the problem I had was that the kicker didnt seem to give me much lift at all, probably due to it being really hard to time with the extra speed. If I slow it down hopefully I can get some more lift and my rear wheel will hit the rock rather than my sump guard (which evidently resulted in a sprained ankle which hurts alot more than Id imagined).

Cheers mate =]

Tom

Much about splatters here

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....t=0&start=0

Plus this little gem from me:

OK I will give it a go to try and explain the exceedily amature technique that I use. Bear in mind the tallest thing I have splatted is about 3.5 to 4 ft.

good kicker is needed placed on ground same distance as obstacle is tall. (so I am told)

first few times give yourself plenty of run at it. Not so much to build speed as just to feel comfortable,

as you approach the kicker,

rev the engine,

compress the suspension (get down on it)

as you bring your body up, this begins to "spring" the suspension up ---dump the clutch.

The entire time you are doing this look at a point ABOVE the obstacle, do not look at the leading edge of it.

when the rear tire hits the face of the obstacle absorb the impact with your legs, lean forward a tad, and pull in the clutch.

At this point you will either "clean" the splatter and be on top of said obstacle or sitting on the skid pan. Either way you ain't falling back down.

also good to have a catcher just in case you don't make it. And they can give you a hard time if you don't make it.

If there are any more experienced with the splatter that can point out any problems with this explanation, don't be shy.

If I am wrong, well then I am wrong.

Much about splatters here

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....t=0&start=0

If there are any more experienced with the splatter that can point out any problems with this explanation, don't be shy.

If I am wrong, well then I am wrong.

If you would have been in attendance for Ryan Young last weekend , you would know ....

:D

Buy the Video . Take a school . Money well spent .

Splatters require no skill according to Ryan, just balls!

As you get over 5ft, some foreward momentum is a help, but other than that, just use a kicker, compress while you are revving max, and dump the clutch as the rear hits the kicker! Pull up hard so the rear hits first, and not your head! Then push over the top!

You are up! We hope! :D

29r

post Yesterday, 10:27 PM

If you would have been in attendance for Ryan Young last weekend , you would know ....

happy.gif

Buy the Video . Take a school . Money well spent .

Did not know about said Ryan Young School last weekend.

Well, it's a better excuse than I am just too cheap to spend the money. :D

No disrespect to Ryan but he is 100% wrong. I have the balls to do it, but its not working so the only other thing that could be missing is skill. Id love to take a training day with him but unfortunatly im in the UK, going to see Dougie in August though!

Im going to take everyones tips and put them into practice this weekend. thanks alot!

Tom

Edited by tombo46

Tombo, the timing is important, so lets see here if I remember how to correctly describe this.

Try nto start out on about 1 meter high and set your kicker accordingly.

Try second gear and about walking speed. Third gear will get you further later on.

A couple of feet before the front wheel gets to the kicker, drop your knees fully to compress the suspension while revving the motor.

As you and the suspension rebound, feed the clutch to lift the front off the kicker while pulling back hard.

By this time the rear wheel should have made it to within a foot or two from the kicker and with maximum traction as you pop(fully) the clutch fully propelling you up and out of the "hole". Things happen quick at that point. No slipping here! You have to commit to the "full pop" at revs! Same with a good zap! Takes commitment! And Balls! And you have to stay up with the machine!

As you get better, you do not even need a small kicker on the small ones as the kicker is simply a timing devise! Timing and practice, which I do not have!

So I just normally point and shoot, at Ryan!

Hope that makes sense. :D

Edited by copemech

Splatters require no skill according to Ryan, just balls!

I don't think Ryan would ' Approve ' this message . :P

Although 'Commitment ' plays a big part , throttle (lots ), gear selection , clutch , body position/movement ( before , during and after ) and then stop on a dime .

See'ins I have a hard enough time hoppin' off a bike , I'm not the one to be schoolin'. I know though , there's more than meets the eye .

Buy the Video , take a school . :D

I don't think Ryan would ' Approve ' this message . :P

Although 'Commitment ' plays a big part , throttle (lots ), gear selection , clutch , body position/movement ( before , during and after ) and then stop on a dime .

See'ins I have a hard enough time hoppin' off a bike , I'm not the one to be schoolin'. I know though , there's more than meets the eye .

Buy the Video , take a school . :P

OK 29r, point taken, yet still in context of this thread, Ryan would only say the first part, I added the rest as a matter of context and emphisys!

Do you have GUTS! Maybe too much? :D