Splatter Tips

I have a question regarding the splatter technique. I understand that I need to drive up the rear wheel on the face of the obstacle. But, how to I give it throttle when I hit the face of the wall with my rear wheel? Check this picture out: My hands are at an angle when it's completely impossible to give it throttle. But, If I shut off the throttle, then how will the wheel drive up? Is the flywheel keeping enough momentum or what?

splatter.jpg

Here is the video if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWTH-5AA6E

And also I made a super slow motion version of it. It's clearly visible that the rear wheel is not driving up at all. It just hits the face of the wall and stays there and I'm leaning forward and holding the bike on the bashplate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyF_ibtUzM

I wan't to make it completely up, and not only landing on the bashplate. And I'm giving 100% body, and I still can't do it. :banana2:(

Somebody help, I can't figure out what am I doing wrong. :thumbup:

Edited by fkrisztian

I have a question regarding the splatter technique. I understand that I need to drive up the rear wheel on the face of the obstacle. But, how to I give it throttle when I hit the face of the wall with my rear wheel? Check this picture out: My hands are at an angle when it's completely impossible to give it throttle. But, If I shut off the throttle, then how will the wheel drive up? Is the flywheel keeping enough momentum or what?

splatter.jpg

Here is the video if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWTH-5AA6E

And also I made a super slow motion version of it. It's clearly visible that the rear wheel is not driving up at all. It just hits the face of the wall and stays there and I'm leaning forward and holding the bike on the bashplate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyF_ibtUzM

I wan't to make it completely up, and not only landing on the bashplate. And I'm giving 100% body, and I still can't do it. :banana2:(

Somebody help, I can't figure out what am I doing wrong. :thumbup:

Hard to learn without a kicker! Too late on the throttle and the lift i think! Not enough revs to cary you up(on the flywheel).

And the front should not touch the rock. Only thing to touch is the rear! :lol:

Looking at the slow motion video it seems you make the same mistake as me i.e.

You don't let the rear suspension come up after you've compressed it, it seems like you're forcing the pegs and therefore the rear wheel into the base of the wall.

I still exhibit this bad habit from time-to-time....so the theory is..when the rear is fully compressed you must then unweight (slightly)the pegs to let the suspension 'ping' you up there.

As others have mentioned a kicker would help ,you could feel for the contact with the kicker ( that's the 'signal' to dump and jump).

Hope that helps(I'm no expert). :banana2:

You really need to rev then POP fully, takes commitment as you unload and pop to get verticle and lift off! :wall:

What you did was just a "blip" and nor even a "zap". Kicker!

That is a near perfect wall to practice a zap on too!

Edited by copemech

fkrisztian, what are you doing smashing (i.e.literally breaking) those steps up, no helmet and no boots? Poor example for the kiddies, I say.

Anyway about your technique - far too fast approach. Find something a bit smaller and try for a standing start, you will get more verticle lift. Your body is not 100% effort, your butt isn't reaching the plastic, so there is more to be gained there, basically your body input is good for that obstacle, though. You are far too gentle on the clutch, there is heaps of grip where you are in the vid, so really pop that clutch out, you should spin the wheels a bit, dont worry the tyres will find grip!

Post another vid when you have mastered these things. (including the boots and hat). :(

Cheers,

Chris.

I know I am biased but the way Ross rides up this first step, it really doesn't get too much smoother than that to be honest. It's a shame I haven't got the other riders vids so you can compare.

For BIG stuff, look at this one of Shaun Morris

And then for the VERY BIG stuff , try this splat :( after all, you did say you had the balls :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTHRj2LlnA

Cheers Atom,you linked some of my favourite Youtube trials videos there..and while we're on about Ross heres my fave.....Oh god please let me, one day, be able to play,just play on my bike just like this..

Cheers Atom,you linked some of my favourite Youtube trials videos there..and while we're on about Ross heres my fave.....Oh god please let me, one day, be able to play,just play on my bike just like this..

I took that in 2005 at Nantmawr Quarry. I think he was 16 then :(

There are quite a few good riders about of course at his level and above, but when he is on the pace, the fluidity and smoothness of the way he rides is just a beauty to watch. This is one of the reasons I follow him. The execution is more interesting to me than the result :D

anyway...I'm off to the French and Italian rounds shortly to get my fix so must get moving :D

I think we'll have to get out on the bikes Wayne.

I'll bring a video camera and film you on that 8ft splatter

silky smooth....... :(

You can f.....forget the camera,anyhow I've gone metric, 8ft is that a little bit more than 8cm? You got a text coming.