The Tweel Prototype Michelins-future Trials Use?

sectionone

They would be expensive though AND the great thing about trials tyres running at low pressure is the way the tyre spreads and distorts to grip the terrain and i dont see how that would be accomplished with tweels.

They would be expensive though AND the great thing about trials tyres running at low pressure is the way the tyre spreads and distorts to grip the terrain and i dont see how that would be accomplished with tweels.

Good point, but look at the pic of the CAT, that tweel seems to wrap around those rocks pretty well. :P

CAT

Good point, but look at the pic of the CAT, that tweel seems to wrap around those rocks pretty well. :P

CAT

I see what you mean but thats a big heavy thing applying lots of weight to make them bend. I wonder whether they could be made with flexible enough spokes that are still durable enough for trials use.

Its kind of beside the point though. A trials tyre will distort not just along the circumfrence of the tyre but also accross the width of the tyre.

I havnt explained very well but imagine riding over a fist sized rock. the soft tyre will kind of wrap around it along both its length and width.

Edited by madcr500

I see what you mean but thats a big heavy thing applying lots of weight to make them bend. I wonder whether they could be made with flexible enough spokes that are still durable enough for trials use.

Its kind of beside the point though. A trials tyre will distort not just along the circumfrence of the tyre but also accross the width of the tyre.

I havnt explained very well but imagine riding over a fist sized rock. the soft tyre will kind of wrap around it along both its length and width.

I think most of us can un-encrypt that explanation. :D

It would seem that the flexibility is due to those flexible spokes; from my understanding they could be arranged horizontally as well as along the circumference, to create that 'wrap around' affect. of course I

How light would they be after they are clogged with mud??

You would need some kind of skin to cover the spokes to kee the mud out.

Looks interesting tho ... someday .... maybe

I still cant see them ever being as flexible as a trials tyre.

Given the requirements, I could easily see them being flexible in more than one dimension. Typical road or off-road wheels (as shown) are less concerned with cross-structure flexibility as the opposite wheel controls the roll and provided the addition traction.

But a three dimensional Tweel could provide flexibility in all areas.

Electric trials bikes with Tweels... sooner than you think.

We won't have to worry about gassing up at the SSDT, just hope there is enough sunshine. :P

We won't have to worry about gassing up at the SSDT, just hope there is enough sunshine. :P

Electric trials bikes fitted with solar panels would be nifty but the SSDT would only run once every 6 or 7 years :D