Montess 4rt Chain Adjustment

iggy

I own a 4rt which I bought brand new in Febuary, I seem to have nearly reach the end of adjustment on the snail cam adjusters which keep the chain tension correct, not sure why this is as there is still a fair amount of slot left behind the rear spindle for further adjustment but the snail cams will only take another couple of clicks before they are at full adjustment, the bike is completely standard with standard spockets and came with the snail cams adjusted more than half way when new, do montesa fit over long chains (Regina chains) do I need to get some larger snail cams so as to be able to move the rear wheel further back in the spindle slot as it does still have around half and inch to an inch at least of remaining adjustment which I can't adjust because the cams are nearly right round to full.

any body else have this problem?

Cheers iggy.

Move the allen head adjusters that hold the cams in place, should be 2 holes for them to slot into

Ditto that!!!!! if they are already in the rear hole then move them forward and take a link out of your chain.

Was just looking at my chain last week and thinking the 08's have a different chain to previous years because mine isn't stretching nearly as much as they used too.

Anyway be careful fitting larger snail cams, they are thicker and don't allow the spindle to go through the nut as far as the original adjusters, moving the screw in the original adjusters is the way forward ....and it's a lot cheaper, or buy a new chain with what you save on new snail cams

The 4rt solution of a slim 3/4 style cam and 2 screw holes also keeps things a lot neater at the back. The trend for large snail cam adjusters just increases the chance of hitting them on a rock and knocking the wheel out of line.

Also (pet hate of mine) never have the snail cams arm pointing down as this increases the chance of catching on rocks. Once they start to point down, turn them over so the arm is always pointing skywards.

PS (other pet hate ) makes sure your footrest are always angled up slightly. I am amazed at how many people ride bikes with footrests ointing down. This just asks for your foot to slip off.

Thanks for the advise, haven't had a montesa before so didn't know there was a 2nd set of holes further back for the Allen snail cam bolts, I'll just move these back, thanks again for the help.

really please with the 4rt had a beta rev 3 before and was worried I would find it hard to adjust to the 4 stroke but I found it pretty easy to ride from the off and have no regrets.

Cheers iggy.

Was just looking at my chain last week and thinking the 08's have a different chain to previous years because mine isn't stretching nearly as much as they used too.

Anyway be careful fitting larger snail cams, they are thicker and don't allow the spindle to go through the nut as far as the original adjusters, moving the screw in the original adjusters is the way forward ....and it's a lot cheaper, or buy a new chain with what you save on new snail cams

V-Mar has snail cams specifically for Montesas - they are machined so they allow full axle nut engagement. Have some - they are very nice (and always instal so they are pointing up).

Andrew

V-Mar has snail cams specifically for Montesas - they are machined so they allow full axle nut engagement. Have some - they are very nice (and always instal so they are pointing up).

Andrew

I got a pair of Jitsies - apart from being too thick they do not even offer as much adjustment at the top end as the originals - I had to turn them out in a lathe to let the nut/axle recess into them - they dont tell you that you need a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck to fit them to a montesa when they sell them !!!

stick with the originals and spend your money on a good chain :banana2:

Edited by overthehill

stick with the originals and spend your money on a good chain ;)

+1 :banana2:

by the way OTH your chain don't stretch as you only ride the route :lol: not doing any of the sections to put any stress on the chain :thumbup:

..................bet its the same one off your 315???

+1 :wall:

by the way OTH your chain don't stretch as you only ride the route :D not doing any of the sections to put any stress on the chain :huh:

..................bet its the same one off your 315???

you have to be mad to ride those sections :D

anyway at least i ride the route - not like some

post-114-1213051337.jpg