What Bike To Buy For A 9 Year Old Boy

motoxleo

Gentlemen

My son is 9 and is keen to try his hands on trials. He is used to MX bikes and has a KTM50SX now. Its time to go up to a 65cc soon but we just might get a trials bike instead - I think its good experience and will teach him some real bike skills.

Now, the question is what bike do you recommend for my kid, what size and what brand? I really like the late model GasGas bikes but how are they holding up?

We are located near Lancaster (UK) so if anyone has a little used trials bike in good condition for sale it would not hurt to send us a line.

Cheers

Presuming He is used to a manual then Second hand the only option is a Beta Rev50 4 speed. It's actually a great option anyway so no problem at all!! If you can afford new then the 6 speed Beta 50and the Gas Gas 50 are in the frame. I have seen both on trials and both seem pretty good and reliable. If you can find dealers with them or a friendly face at a trial looking to sell then get him on one and see what He thinks!!

Edited by Telecat

IMHO, be prepared to go through a few bikes in the next couple years. If you get one that's too big, he won't ride it.

If you get one that's too small he's out grow it quicker. Find the right one and be prepared to buy another in a year or two (or less)!!! Find one with a good resale value. Again IMHO.

Very good point. He is 9 years old, rather big for his age. I believe a 80cc Gasser is too big. Are there a different size (frame or wheels) 50cc bikes made, say from GasGas or Beta? Anyone have experience of those brands in terms of reliability?

Cheers

Very good point. He is 9 years old, rather big for his age. I believe a 80cc Gasser is too big. Are there a different size (frame or wheels) 50cc bikes made, say from GasGas or Beta? Anyone have experience of those brands in terms of reliability?

Cheers

The REV50 and the Gas Gas Cadet 50 are small Wheel bikes that have 17" rear and 19" front wheels. The 80's usually have 19 rears and 21 front's.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Hi

I actually disagree with You that a 80cc is too big. Our beginners from 8 years is starting out on our fullsize 50and 80cc Gassers. Its amazing how quick they learn to handle them (Ok some struggle more than others of course).

But if your kid is 9 and big for his age and in addition has experience from MX I really would go for a full size 50/80cc or even a 125. If You go for a smaller bike I am afraid that he needs a new one in just months.

A 125 GasGas has exactly the same size as the 50/80 cc versions only with larger engine. If You are angsious about the effect, the engine can easily be made "kinder" with a "head spacer" aviable at several web shops for about

Motoxleo,

If you are intrested I have a 07 Beta 50 six speed that has only been used 6 times. If you are intrested PM me. I am happy to deliver half way.

Aye

Army Man

Which one had 6 speed - I thought they were four speed? Did they change after 05, or did my lad just never use the top two? :( Or am I just mistaken?

Even more confused having checked the Beta UK website as it says the Rev 50 is automatic. I think they've made a cut and paste error from the Auto 50.

Rev 50

My lad had the Rev 50 from 7 until about 10 year old. It was a great bike, absolutely bullet proof, but moved to the Sherco 80 at 10 year old as he was making it look very small and the small wheels were doing him no favours. He's fairly tall but very skinny and not struggled with the weight of the near full size Sherco 80. Have you looked at the Beta 80 - that's a half way house to the full sized bikes (and six speed)