What Am I Doing Wrong!

edgas250

over the past 18months of owning a gas gas every time i remove the airbox becomes a struggle to get the damn thing back on,

the reason being is the rubber ring around the carb to the airbox, it doesnt seem to be long enough, ive rang gas gas and they said they have never changed the design!

the only way i can get it to sit on is by placing the rubber ring inside the airbox tube half way on a slight angle, then put the carb into the recess in the bung, but once i start to tighten a jubilee clip around it the ring starts to come away from the airbox tube!

to even get as far as the above i need to slacken off the manifold on the other end of the carb and have that not sitting were it should,

its almost as if the carb is too small, and it wont fit between the 2 tubes,

its a standard dellorto carb,

bike is a 280 pro 05,

Thanks

I think everbody with a pro knows the problem. GG in germany suggested heating the airbox tube to 60 degrees to make it soft!!! Not good.

There was a guy on evil bay in the UK that started making rings for the rear of the delorto. The ring was screwed to the caRb AND EFFECTIFLY MADE IT LOnGER AND GAVE THE AIRBOX HOSE A BETTER SEAT TO FIT TO: i THINK hEATH HAD SOME ON HIS WEBSITE FOR SALE: opps, caps lock

HEATH?

Lee

The carb sleeve is produced by a TC member: IKB. Can't recommed enough, had it on both my last 2 Pro's. Not only is it a more effective solution, it secures firmly to the carb. It eliminates the hassle of refitting the airbox unit, Just needs a bit of WD in the airbox tube to help it slide on first time when refitting.

Also always seems to fit easier to refit the airbox unit with the tank removed.

I was about to say that IMO the airbox/seat combination on the pro is the best thing since sliced bread (excluding the fact that it leaks!). Two minutes off and two minutes on. But I've got a Raga with the Keihin and no rubber sleeve.

I suppose you could try spraying the inside of the airbox sleeve with silicon spray before re-installing.

Edited by TooFastTim

I bought this from Lewisport here in the states and no long have the problem. Worth every penny.

He has them made here in the states. It also helps that it adds about 2 more inches of length above what the rubber spacer did.

gg_carb_spacer_a.jpg

Its a must have for any gasgas.

I can pull the seat/air box and reinstall in mins now.

--Biff

I bought this from Lewisport here in the states and no long have the problem. Worth every penny.

He has them made here in the states. It also helps that it adds about 2 more inches of length above what the rubber spacer did.

gg_carb_spacer_a.jpg

Its a must have for any gasgas.

I can pull the seat/air box and reinstall in mins now.

--Biff

I have the 02' Pro (actually an 04' airbox with 02' graphics) and the 02' boot which is smaller and only fits the Dellorto. The change to the wider boot in 03' was to accomidate the VHST Dellorto flatslide (only used in 03') and the Raga's Keihin PWK28, hense the donut adapter. The problem seems to lie in the fact that the VHST and PWK are slightly longer bodies so they designed the boot more to accomidate them, rather than the 26 Dellorto that most of us use.

Next time you have the airbox off, take a Dremel tool and radius the front intake of the boot so without the sharp edge, the bell will slide in a lot easier rather than catching on the sharp angle.

Jon

• 6 years later...

Good Evening All,

I hate to revive such an old thread, but figured the contributors would be the ideal people to help. I have the same issue as above - my airbox sleeve simply isn't long enough (and is at a bit of a strange angle) to connect over the inlet on the carb. Mines a 2008 TXT Pro, does anyone know where I can purchase the adapter please? I have tried eBay but haven't seen one yet.

Thank you!

Good Evening All,

I hate to revive such an old thread, but figured the contributors would be the ideal people to help. I have the same issue as above - my airbox sleeve simply isn't long enough (and is at a bit of a strange angle) to connect over the inlet on the carb. Mines a 2008 TXT Pro, does anyone know where I can purchase the adapter please? I have tried eBay but haven't seen one yet.

Thank you!

Another trick that usually works is to install the carb bell into the boot and then push the carb back into the manifold.

Jon