Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcman56

Tlr Aluminium Skid Plate?

21 posts in this topic

Are aluminium skid plates still available for a Reflex (TLR200). I would like one like those on the TLR250.

The one's on the TLR 250 aren't really good enough for the job,you need to modify them so they actually protect your valuable side cases.

Like this...........

post-24-1093982663.jpg

Stuck int' shed?

Why it was only the other day that i was chucking the thing down the beck! :rolleyes:

Still managed to throw myself in between it and the rocks though, saves time in the workshop later B)

That is a beautiful skid plate. I have been trying to figure out how to make one like that but is seems none too easy. I have heard you can get Aluminium 6061 T0 that is pretty easy to work. It also seems like a hydraulic press with some type of wood forming dies may do the trick but it is still unclear to me. I'm a fair machinist but have no sheet metal experience. Can you let me in on the secret? How do you get alll of those shapely curves in 1/4" Aluminium?

It's no secret, just use the existing guard, then cut some bits of card to the shape you want to extend.

Then **** some alloy to the shape of the card templates and get someone to TIG them on, then file smooth!

Hey Sparky, you going to Cumberland 2 day?

Some new sections in woods we've never been in before.

You would have liked the nostalgia trial t'other day, some half decent sections, even managed to show Nick the way it's done! (well, on most cleans anyway, but i'll take it!) :rolleyes:

Edited by t-shock 250

Sections at the Nostalgia looked spot on (just watchin' unfortunately) - but will go back plus bike next year. I don't remember the TLR, were you riding something else ?

That brings me back to the original question. Where do I get one of the Aluminium skid plates to start with? Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Hey t-shock250, you have just earned the 'BIG JOHN admiration award' for a very nice Honda TLR!

Cheers...

BIG JOHN

Sections at the Nostalgia looked spot on (just watchin' unfortunately) - but will go back plus bike next year. I don't remember the TLR, were you riding something else ?

No, the Honda was left at home, i was on a yellow and blue SWM, did you see me?

I was riding with a bloke on a tidy 300 Fantic.

Edited by t-shock 250

I was on a yellow and blue SWM, did you see me?

I was riding with a bloke on a tidy 300 Fantic.

I remember the SWM having a front disk, and the Fantic looked better than the 240 I had back in '82. (always notice the bikes more than the riders!)

You weren't dropping many marks from what I remember :rolleyes:

Had a couple of really stupid 5's which spoilt a good ride, typical!

Did you get to the hillclimb section? there were some riderless machines heading back through the trees on that one!

Do you live within reasonable travelling distance of Cumbria?

Edited by t-shock 250