Rose City, Mi Aug. 2&3

jimg

I was told the Rose City event will be expanding the riding grounds from last year. Last years event was great! The riding grounds are unlike any other event in MOTA's circuit and the club took advantage of laying out very nice sections (off-camber, side hills, river-beds) "old school" style. With the high gas prices the two day event is nice. Now, I just have to talk my knee into it.

Can we arrive Friday evening with trailers?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with Jim about last years Rose City event! It was great to have all the "Old School" sections.

I think many of todays young or even new riders have not learned the basics and last years Rose City was a

perfect reminder to all how important basic practice is needed.

For Jims sake no big splatters in EXP!!!!! He is going to be riding on one leg if he can even ride by then! He tore his ACL at

the Whitemore Lake event for those that do not know. He still can't walk well but plans to ride Rose City and finish off the year before having surgery!

Hey, nobody said trials riders were smart!

With the club members involved I am sure it will be an excellent event and am looking forward to it.

Even better than last year is an understatement. The loop uses most of the 160 acre property. Lots of rocks....... A few great big rocks to climb up on too (6'+) No giant splatters, but we are challenging everyone. Another man made section with new stuff too. Big loop (over 2 miles around) New sections each day (10 ea day) except for 3 that will be rerun on day two in the opposite direction. Only 3 sections in the ravine. The event is way more spread out than last year- hopefully no waiting lines! Ok to bring your "other motorcycles", can ride trails out from property (legally) to ORV route. Very kid friendly on site as well as on the trails (Rose City loop)

Still room at the hotels: Badlands Motel 866-686-3950 (on site) Scenic Motel 989-685-2668 (1/2 mile south- nicer too)

Potable water on site, Pit toilets on site, Electric Hook ups are avaiable on a very limited basis for $10.00.

Hey Jim, contact me about your ACL surgery- I have an inside line to some info there that may be of interest.

On another note- I finally went play riding for the FIRST time this season yesterday. Contrary to popular opinion, I did not forget how to ride a motorcycle. Man - do I hate how work gets in the way of having fun...

Looking for some comments here,

I am gonna jump up to Sportsman from Senior. My thinking is that with little or no practice time I am never gonna get my game so perfect to get 1-2 point scores in SR class, so my finish position will always be 3rd or more. I can do bigger stuff, so I'm thinking that I will place just as well (top 5) and have more fun. What do you guys think?

kjax Posted Today, 12:43 PM

Looking for some comments here,

I am gonna jump up to Sportsman from Senior. My thinking is that with little or no practice time I am never gonna get my game so perfect to get 1-2 point scores in SR class, so my finish position will always be 3rd or more. I can do bigger stuff, so I'm thinking that I will place just as well (top 5) and have more fun. What do you guys think?

If you are comfortable with the jump up do it!!! I went from Sportsman to ADV and am now beating the crap out of myself and coming in last place every event, and having MORE FUN doing that than riding Sportsman.

Kjax

The Rose City event sounds like it will be a great time! 2 mile loop will be a nice, thanks for all the effort you guys are putting

into it.

Sportsman is a pretty big jump up from from the SR line but it is worth a shot. Maybe a good way to gage the Sportsman line is for you is to ride the sections

your club is laying out for your event. Sounds like most of the sections are new so it should give you some idea of how you could do riding that line.

Kjax,

Like Scott said, try to ride all the Sportsman lines (a couple times each) at your event. Try to keep a mental score and you can project how many points you would end up with if you rode the event. This should put you in the "ballpark" to where you might end up in competition (if that concerns you). If you feel comfortable doing the bigger stuff and have the ambition, then give the Sportsman class a try. If we could ever find time to do some riding together, I might be able to give you some pointers to add to your talents

Hi guys,

Just reserved a room at the Scenic. Only rooms in the 'old' section are available.

Am I better off at the Badlands?

Jim - you are a machine that eats pain for breakfast.

Didn't make last year but the "old-school' sections sound quite attractive to an old-schooler.

Regarding the Sportman line - I too have dabbled (dabbed) with it as a 'more fun' kinda thing upon occasion. I find it's too inconsistent in difficulty from event to event to hang there, as some have beat my bones up real bad. Could anyone familiar characterize the Sportsman line at this event?

Thanks, Steve

Off of the original topic, but since talking about the Sportsman line, I'd like to mention this....In my opinion; I think the Sportsman line should NOT be a separate line. Rather, be a combination of the harder Intermediate lines and the easier Advanced lines. In past years, several clubs did this, but somehow it disappeared. It makes laying out sections much easier and I believe would give the Sportsman rider a defining basis on the difficulty of the sections. Additionally, there are large levels of difficulty or "gaps" between the classes, especially Sportsman to Advanced and Advanced to Expert (just ask Zippy). I can think of several other benefits, so what do you think? Talk to your club president if you think this is a good idea and it can be proposed to the MOTA committee for change in 09.

I hate when people get way off topic but had to point out the consistancy of Jim's emails.. 8:02am on the dot two days in a row..

To bad he wasn't that consistant on where he leaves his wallet....

Agree for simplicity sake Sportsman should run easy ADV. and Hard INT. We used to do that, not sure why we went away from it?

I know our club is quilty of creating a seperate Sportsman line in recent events.

Kjax

Are you guys bringing the rocks onto the property or where they already there. I didn't think that area had very many large rocks. Seems like

mostly sand. The property should hold up well if it rains.

Kjax

The Rose City event sounds like it will be a great time! 2 mile loop will be a nice, thanks for all the effort you guys are putting

into it.

Jeremy, along with Les, John and Joe have really spearheaded the layout. I'm just a worker bee on this one.

On the move to Sportsman, I am kinda in the groove with Zippy. I know I'll have more fun, plus it will up my skills A few of he guys riding Sprtsman this year jumped in just for the that reason- to pull them up a notch.

On the idea of the Sportsman line, I agree that the original plan sounds best (shared mix of adv and int) . But while we are playing with the idea of unique classes and lines why not have Senior Adv (SRA)and Senior Int.(SRI) No new lines, just use Spt and Int lines already in place. This might put a reasonable separation between the many riders in the Senior class.

Scott, The rocks are there, we just put em away when we're not using them. We got a really big slippery one out ...just for you! There are no big gullies full, but numerous man made piles all over the property..kinda like Vermontville, plus a few big ones that are naturally placed.

The property is not sandy actually, some of most greasy clay anywhere north of Saginaw. When it rains it's kinda messy. It does dry quickly though, espescially in the summer, so a rain one day or two days before the event usually makes for ideal traction. The recent Hare Scrambles had us pulling guys out of woods and swamp sections with 4 wheelers.. we have buried bikes to the bars in some of our races in years past. It rained before, during, and after the E-Cross and Hare Scrambles this summer.

Steve, I have not been involved in the details of the Sportsman lines for our event..yet. So no insight there for you...sorry. I think you still are better off at the Scenic, you can leave your bike and gear on site so you wont need to load it up. If you want just put yer stuff with mine. I think I am actually ready to beat myself up a bit more on the SPT line. The real key (for me) is to actually make to an event to ride instead of work.... Between all of BWCC events and now our East Side trials I am always working instead of riding.

See my new thread regarding the cancellation of the Aug 23 rd Endurocross event in Rose City.

Well,

Definitely looking forward to the Trials in Rose City. Last one there I got many many points but had a great time. I really liked the off-camber turns on the hills, just slick enough to make it really interesting. And some good size steep climbs also. Really enjoyed the no run up rock pile that was used in the E-Cross. Beautiful property there, will be great to see more of it this time around. Wonder what I can break on the bike this time??? B)

OK to the off topic portion of the thread:

Had to break out the MOTA book.

"Sportsman class riders shall compete over a course comprised of approximately fifty percent of the more difficult Intermediate sections and approximately fifty percent of the least difficult Advanced class sections. However, at the promoting clubs discretion, a separate Sportsman line may be used in a section, and shall be marked accordingly throughout the section."

OK myself I am guilty in the past of making a separate Sportsman line. But I agree that we all need to get back to the 50/50 setup for Sportsman. I think the allowance of a separate Sports line is ok if it is used as a last resort because that section has a way easy INT and a way hard ADV.

The following is not a complaint, just a statement of opinion and some fact.

The difference from Novice to Intermediate is HUGE!! Intermediate to Sportsman is BIG!!! Sportsman to Advanced is BIG!!!!! Advanced to Expert is well screw the Experts they are the best so set them up with the impossible stuff :D (I say that cuz I will never ride Expert)

I have noticed that within MOTA (and all clubs are guilty of this at one time or another) that instead of encouraging riders to move up a class the events get set up to really challenge the top 4 guys in that class. As those top 4 get better the sections get harder but are still labeled that class. Those in the lower classes are like Whoa!! that is too hard or scary I ain't moving up.

Not sure about adding another Sr class, not sure if anyone would ride it, but never know until you try, my biggest concern would be ease for observers to know who rides what. At first glance it don't sound like a bad idea. Might be worth pursuing.

Wendy (our fantastic Milford Trials Team manager) would like to get a hookup for the trailer.

An earlier post here notes hookups are available on limited basis, but the flier says 'no hookups'.

Are the campgrounds and the hookups at the same place, and who should we call?

Regarding the off-topic discussion - so far I'm with Zippy on this one. Our Mr. Dunlop has followed the

Sportsman line practices of MOTA over the years, and surely has some interesting things to add here.

He's a lurker here too.... come on out and play awhile.

Wendy (our fantastic Milford Trials Team manager) would like to get a hookup for the trailer.

An earlier post here notes hookups are available on limited basis, but the flier says 'no hookups'.

Are the campgrounds and the hookups at the same place, and who should we call?

There are roughly 10 plugs. Some will be used by the time you get there, that's why we listed no hookups on the flyer. But they are available on first come basis. I can hold one for you guys, consider it done. I'll be there when you arrive, I'll get you hooked. Hookups are at the main barn only, so bring some long cords - plenty of space to set up. BWCC policy is $10 flat fee for a hookup (money goes to a fund to set up some remote hookup points away from the barn in the future) Everything is on Bent Wheels property, which surrounds the Badlands Complex. Just pull in at the Badlands sign on the west side of M-33 just north of the main light in Rose City.

Hey Jim, Call me sometime about play riding..we only live 15 min apart- We can ride at my house- pretty good stuff actually-just not real big spaces like DeBolt's. There is one big rock section that no one has done- steep hill. Maybe you can get a discount to do two knees at the same time??????

My thinking on the two SR classes is just to allow the "old guys" who do not ride often or at the higher skill levels a place where than can actually get a top three finish. It is one of the largest classes in MOTA, so I can't see it being too hard to get 3-5 riders in each division of SR class. I can think of at least 6 guys who should ride SR "Adv". Other clubs around the country already have this split.

Kjax, sounds good...we'll have to chat about doing some riding together.

How about this...Make senior class actually a senior class. Is 40 years old really senior? I'd say bump it up to 50.

kjax, thank you. If we show up on Friday can we ride around?

To continue the Sportsman off-topic thang...

From a pure selfish standpoint, I would like a rather technical line that requires some hopping

maybe - unless perfectly executed, but doesn't include the 'another broken wrist cause

I went over the bars' ADV + class stuff. Don't know if a line like that would attract enough of

the 1-2 point capable SR guys as they seem to like the way it is.

To me (53yo), a comfortably difficult line that takes points is way more fun than comfortably easy,

and that one stupid 5 you earned wouldn't put you out for the day. I just end up screwing around

afterwards. SR class could be 60 if some of us had a place to go in the meantime.

The current Sportsman line is really close, but too inconsistent.

Edited by widrace