New Tube Question.

maude

I've had a bit of a search and found some answer that confuse me so I won't mention them for now.

I need a new rear tube so stripped the wheel and tyre and off to the local bike shop I went. I asked for a trial bike tube and the chap gave me a standard 18" tube, I asked if trials bike had special tubes (the low pressure) and he said that all the trials boys use these ones, the problem is the tube that came out was a fair bit thicker than the new one but not as thick as the Michelin MX/enduro ones he had, he didn't think the MX one would go in my tyre so I've fitted the thinner one (a quarter of the price aswell), my question is will a standard road type tube be ok?

Also he said my rear wheel should have rimlocks but it didn't have one from new and the two people I ride with haven't had them from new either, 2000 rev3, 2006 rev3 and 2004 Sherco respectively. Should I have rimlocks and if so how come the bikes don't come with them fitted. Is it just case of if the tube slips fit one or two locks? Any help will be appreciated.

Allan.

By the way, I've put this in the Beta section as it's a Rev3 but I realise this must be a subject open to all trial bikes.

You have a tubless rim on the rear and you should (must) have a tubless tyre on there too. If there is an inner tube fitted, the chances are that someone has had a puncture in the past and got around it by simply fitting a tube.

I've done this myself to get a little more life out of an old tyre. Then when I've put a new tyre on next, I've simply put the tubless valve back in and removed the tube for next time.

Do not even think about using a tube type tyre on the rear, it will slip around the rim and tear out the valve as (you mentioned) there is no rim lock.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, I did think it could be a tubeless tyre but didn't say as I didn't want to prompt answers, I had to inflate to 50psi to get tyre bead to pop out on the rim.

So more than likely it's had a puncture and been tubed then.

It could do with a tyre to be honest but I've turned it for now and put a tube in.

I pressume I'm right in thinking that the tube will be fine then as if it's a tubeless rim and tyre then the tyre shouldn't slip causing any tube problems.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies, I did think it could be a tubeless tyre but didn't say as I didn't want to prompt answers, I had to inflate to 50psi to get tyre bead to pop out on the rim.

So more than likely it's had a puncture and been tubed then.

It could do with a tyre to be honest but I've turned it for now and put a tube in.

I pressume I'm right in thinking that the tube will be fine then as if it's a tubeless rim and tyre then the tyre shouldn't slip causing any tube problems.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

It does sound as if you have a tubless tyre with a tube fitted.

Yes, there should be no problem with it slipping around the rim if it is. If it wasn't, you'd have almost definately torn the valve stem out by now.

It's all good now, when I realised it was probably a tubeles tyre with a tube I couldn't go look at the bike, went to work and had a look this morning and sure enough it says 'tubeless' in plain english on the sidewall, DOH!.

I knew it was tubed when I bought it and the chap I work with with the Sherco is also running a tubed rear so I just pressumed they were all tube type tyres, never mind, I know now and it's all back together so I can go and fall off again tomorrow. :huh:

Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbup: