Bike Recommendations For 11-12 Year Old

fz750

Hi, my son seems to have some ideas about getting a motorbike to learn to ride, and I'm trying to get him to try go in the trials direction..

Could anybody give me some ideas of what would be a suitable bike sizewise for him (preferably at the lower end of the price scale..).

He's 12 in mid-September, and is about average for his height, maybe a few cm more.

Thanks, Kevin

There are Four Options all of which are 80's. The Beta, Clipic, Gas Gas Rookie and Sherco. The Clipic, Beta and Gas Gas are purpose built to be 80's using a small frame with Full size wheels. The Sherco uses a full size frame. The Engine in the Beta is probably the best although the Clipic is pretty good. The Gas Gas seems to have suffered from a lack of development but the entry of Gas Gas into the 50 market has bucked them up a bit. The Sherco is good for the bigger rider but the "feel" of the thing is a bit "big" for young riders. What it comes down to is how many are out there. On this the Beta has it. Plenty out there and the early ones should be good on price. They do take a hammering however so take a good look at them before buying.

Hi, my son seems to have some ideas about getting a motorbike to learn to ride, and I'm trying to get him to try go in the trials direction..

Could anybody give me some ideas of what would be a suitable bike sizewise for him (preferably at the lower end of the price scale..).

He's 12 in mid-September, and is about average for his height, maybe a few cm more.

Thanks, Kevin

Hi,i had this same predicament last Octoberish.My lad was 11 at the time,i thought about an 80cc,gasgas or beta,but then i though kids start to grow quickly around this age,and he would soon out grow the bike,and then you have all the hassle of upgrading.I ended up with a gasgas 125 pro,which will last him well into his teens.It was a tad big for him at first,but he soon got used to it.Its also fairly docile until you give it a hand full.

Remember if he wants to compete in any ACU event (Trial) he cannot have anything over 125cc. You may find good 250cc around at reasonable prices but iy will be a waste of your money.

Remember if he wants to compete in any ACU event (Trial) he cannot have anything over 125cc. You may find good 250cc around at reasonable prices but iy will be a waste of your money.