Rev 3 Fork Oil And Volume

kevin j

tried the search.

2003? Beta Rev 3

Stripped the forks to Helicoil an axle pinch bolt thread.

right leg has no spring in it only a damper cartridge. left has spring and fixed damper, no adjustment. I assume this is normal but seemed strange.

What weight and how much oil in which leg? Son is Expert club level, weights about 175 lbs.

Wanted to reassemble tonight, but am away from being able to contact Ron C, and lost my notes at home. Ron said measure down from to instead of by oil volume cc. I just don't have the numbers.

tks,

kevin j

minnesota

ok, the plot got worse.

Now I have unequal travel of the fork legs, by 3/4 inch.

forks totally drained, lower bolt out damper tubes out, etc.

cleaned up seals and reinstalled. filled with 5w,

right side. The oil level 60 mm down from top

left side, 120 mm down.

Now, the forks have different lengths of travel.

Right side, full extension is a hard stop, so I assume the rebound damping is on the left leg. 7.25 inches travel (185 mm).

Left side, 6.5 inches, (165 mm appr) Extend is a spring or somewhat flexible stop.

Found Beta owners manual but no parts book. It is a 2003. Does not give the design travel, to know which leg has the issue.

Manual shows a rod connected to upper plug on the right side, which mine has. No spring in that side. Nothing unusual that I can see.

Manual shows left side with a rod connected to the upper plug also. Mine does not have that. There is an adjustment for some slight spring preload travel, a moving washer with button shape in center, only maybe 10 mm of adjustment or so. I am assuming the manual picture is wrong, but....??

From the top, lieft side internals, the adjuster on the plug, a plastic sleeve about 2 or 3 inches, metal ring/wear band at bottom for spring bearing I assume, the spring.

From the bottom, aluminim damper tapered cone, the rod with internals and seals on top end. all one assembly not distrubed.

Bushing at the top end of slider and lower end of tube seem in position and normal.

Nothing unusual about the bottom bolts, they both engaged and had similar amounts of thread engagement. Certainly not 3/4 inch difference.

Don't think any parts exchanged as never had both legs apart at same time.

My past experience is TY twin and mono, and 96 & 2000 GG. Never a Beta before.

So tomorrow nigh, fix this, and weld up two broken aluminum air box supports, and a rear brake to blleed. Bike hasn't run since late May, just didn't get to it until the last minute. Son: 'oh, by the way....'

HELP!

I might get to a phone during business hours tomorrow but doubt it, so hoping some online help here.

what is the design travel of the front legs. That would help narrow my search.

Any ideas what I have out of place?

kcj

Edited by kevin j

travel: yup, got to phone business hours today and talked to Ron.

I've just never had the wheel off with fork brace released at same time apparently.

Odd travel is normal.

air box braces on the way.

tks, kcj