2003 Txt 250 Pro Fork Preload .........

francley40

I'd like to increase the preload in the forks a bit and went to do this yesterday.

On other bikes I've had you just remove the fork caps and change/insert a suitable spacer.

However, the fork caps on the Gasser are connected to the spacer/springs/everything-else in the fork tube.

Can anyone tell me how to separate the spacer from all the other gubbins, please.

Many thanks,

Chris.

I'd like to increase the preload in the forks a bit and went to do this yesterday.

On other bikes I've had you just remove the fork caps and change/insert a suitable spacer.

However, the fork caps on the Gasser are connected to the spacer/springs/everything-else in the fork tube.

Can anyone tell me how to separate the spacer from all the other gubbins, please.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Go to: http://d-mis-web.ana.bris.ac.uk/personal/H...f/media/gasgas/ and click "forks" and that should tell you everything.

Jon

Thanks, Jon, but that was the first place I looked.

The info is pretty 'general' stuff with nothing as specific as I need.

Regards, Chris.

Got it. The PVC preload spacer is, I think, 1" "schedule 40" PVC pipe (it's the thick-walled stuff) and the way to get at the spacer is to pull the spacer and spring down and you'll see a (17mm, I believe) jamnut that locks the top cap on to the damper rod. Pull the spacer below the nut and you can, very lightly, put a set of locking pliers jaws on the rod to hold the spring/preload spacer down below the nut. Then, holding the jamnut with an open-end wrench, unscrew the top cap off carefully. Then you can pull the spring down and undo the pliers (careful, hold on to the spring while it extends) and the preload spacer will slide off. You might want to cut another spacer about 5mm longer to try if you want just a little more.

Incidently, if the problem with your forks is bottoming out, a better way to address that is to raise the oil level in the forks (decrease the air pocket at the top of the tube), which will affect the last third of fork travel without making the center stroke harsh. I think the 03' takes 300cc's of 5 weight fork oil per leg and you may want to try about 315/320cc's.

Jon