Help! Engine Won't Turn!

redrider7202

Alright, i'm gonna sorta keep this short cause i've typed this a few times already, and am getting a little tired of it. Anyway, here we go. Like an idiot (this is my 4th bike) i forgot to tighten the axle bolt. Well, axle shifted forward, chain came off and jammed, big time. It stopped the engine very quickly, and now it won't turn over. I can rotate the engine backwards, then forwards again, but it hits the spot (roughly) where it was before and it'll stop dead again. I drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover, and fly wheel cover, nothing obvious. Anyone want ot give me an idea where to look?

Edited by redrider7202

My thought would be to pull the clutch hub off the motor, This will isolate the gearbox from the crankshaft and at least give you something to go on. A broken gear, a twisted crank are possibilities of rapid engine stop! Not a good thing, yet can be repaired!

Good luck! :D

I got the clutch off now, it's definatly in the trans. i got an e-mail back from the importer, he thinks it's first gear, which i think might be right. Now, getting the engine out to split the cases seems to be the big issue. If anyone has a tip let me know.

Sorry I cannot help you Beta specific, but everything must come off including swingarm pivot if form follows fashion! Just nuts and bolts really, certanly makes you more familiar with your steed! Keep components in groups or together as you remove them. Just makes life easier in the long run to organize if you know what I mean. :D

Try shifting it into every gear to see if you can finally get it to rotate. If so then you may have been stuck in that gear and another one at the same time which will cause chaos. If this is the case then lean the engine one way and try it then the other way and try it again to see if you have a gear free floating. Regardless of whats going on in there it looks like you will have to split the cases.

--Biff

Pull the motor out of the bike. Remove flywheel first. You will need a puller. Remove the entire top end. Should have nothing more than the Con. Rod hanging out. Pack clean shop rags around the Rod to keep it from moving much. Kickstarter and shifter must be removed along with case bolts. Remove entire clutch and basket along with clutch and waterpump housing. With all the bolts removed you can carefully pry apart the cases. A lot of tapping with a rubber mallet not wedging screwdrivers to pry things apart.

That will get you to the transmission. If you have never done anything like this before I would recommend having someone who has help out. A lot of clips and retainers involved and the slightest miss fit or alignment and things wont go back together properly. You will also want the internal motor breakdown paperwork.

Aaron