#1 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Bike:2012 OSSA 280i

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

Getting ready to leave on Thurs for Colorado to do some riding, just learned we have to have US forest service approved exhaust..... Whats the deal with that ? How do you guys ride there , does every body get new exhaust?????
None of the 8 bikes we,re taking are "approved" , none of the 4 others in my garage are either ,all but 3 are the stock exhaust.

Any tips ??????????
There are 3 kinds of people , those who are good at math, and those who aren't
Canondale MX440
Cannondale Cannibal 468
Cannondale Cannibal 505
ATK cannibal 440
GasGas 280

GasGas 300 pro
Ossa tr280i
50/50/90 rule - Anytime there is a 50/50 choice , there's a 90% chance you'll pick the wrong one

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 dfwilson

dfwilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Bike:05 Montesa 4RT
  • Club:New Mexico Trials Association

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:39 AM

toothandnail,

You need to get a spark arrestor. Make sure that your state has reciprocity with
Colorado when it comes to an OHV sticker. If not make sure to stop to see your near by forest ranger to get a sticker. Last time it cost me $15.00. Looks like it is now $25.25

Ciao
DFW

Edited by dfwilson, 06 August 2008 - 02:40 AM.

Graduate of the Riggwelter School of Trials

#3 copemech

copemech

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 9,722 posts
  • Bike:Sherco
  • Club:NTTA, TXTC

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:46 AM

RYP or Lewisport have them, or you better find a trials shop in CO!
Ride it Like it was one of your old Girlfriends, If you still remember how!

#4 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info, I've seen them on some bikes in some videos and wondered what they were ;) now I know :D
We ride mostly in Mo, some in Ok, Ark. never been checked/needed one before.
Canondale MX440
Cannondale Cannibal 468
Cannondale Cannibal 505
ATK cannibal 440
GasGas 280

GasGas 300 pro
Ossa tr280i
50/50/90 rule - Anytime there is a 50/50 choice , there's a 90% chance you'll pick the wrong one

#5 dfwilson

dfwilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

RYP or Lewisport have them, or you better find a trials shop in CO!

Don't buy the one from Lewisport unless you have a 4T. They clog up way too fast on a two stroke. I know this from personal experience.

Ciao
DFW

#6 jse

jse

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 2,370 posts
  • Bike:Gas-Gas Pro, TY350s
  • Club:NEOTT-Life member, American Motorcyclist Association-Life Member

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

toothandnail,

You need to get a spark arrestor. Make sure that your state has reciprocity with
Colorado when it comes to an OHV sticker. If not make sure to stop to see your near by forest ranger to get a sticker. Last time it cost me $15.00. Looks like it is now $25.25
Ciao
DFW

I'm also heading for Colorado next week and I got one from RYP to mount on my GasGas. I don't like the clamp mounts so I devised one that uses two poprivited bent master link sides and a small, strong spring. I've used it for some time now and it works well and does not slide/vibrate off in rough circumstances.

Jon

#7 trialsage

trialsage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Bike:DEALER

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:06 AM

dfwilson-- for your info-- the mesh in the one we sell and ANY other LEGAL! spark arrestor is the same-- dosent matter if it is 1 inch diameter or 10 inches!----sorry to say but--guess what-- you have to CLEAN them once in a while!

#8 copemech

copemech

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 9,722 posts
  • Bike:Sherco
  • Club:NTTA, TXTC

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:29 AM

NNuff said, yet the small ones cost less! :D
Ride it Like it was one of your old Girlfriends, If you still remember how!

#9 dfwilson

dfwilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:05 AM

dfwilson-- for your info-- the mesh in the one we sell and ANY other LEGAL! spark arrestor is the same-- dosent matter if it is 1 inch diameter or 10 inches!----sorry to say but--guess what-- you have to CLEAN them once in a while!

I have both types one I bougth from Lewisport and one from RYPUSA and have used both on my son's 99 Sherco. The larger one stays cleaner much longer because the carbon collects in the mouth of the bell instead of impinging directly on the screen and clogging it up. You can only carry so many cans of carb cleaner in your back pack.
Stopping every several hundred yards along the trail to clean the spark arrestor is not fun.

DFW

#10 trialsage

trialsage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Bike:DEALER

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:55 AM

You gotta be kidding!-- if you have to stop every several hundred yards youve got some other serious problems going on i suspect--we have sold literally hundreds of these and i have used them myself for several years now-- we do NOT have to clean them every few hundred yards!--a little exageration i think!!-- you must not be cleaning them properly or something-- we have both types and i personnally have used both types -- they BOTH clog--and cleaning them is a pain-- i use a small butane blow torch wich does the task very quickly and efieciently!

Edited by trialsage, 07 August 2008 - 06:56 AM.

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#11 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info, we had RYP ship them out to Co. ,we'll pick them up when we get there, found some "sparky's" for the non trials bikes at a MC dealer where we'll get our permits. Sooooooo if everything fits we'll be good to go. I think I'll throw in my butane torch "just in case" for cleaning, I can't imagine they would need cleaning that soon , but better than trying to clean with a stick :D
Canondale MX440
Cannondale Cannibal 468
Cannondale Cannibal 505
ATK cannibal 440
GasGas 280

GasGas 300 pro
Ossa tr280i

#12 joekarter

joekarter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Bike:2011 250 EVO
  • Club:Central Arizona Trials

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

This company makes a really nice spark arrestor for your bike and is one of the truely nice guys involved with trials.

http://www.bkceng.co...cycle_index.htm

#13 fester

fester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Bike:04 gasgas 280 pro
  • Club:pitts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:58 AM

:thumbup: adrian i have one of yours as well and i clean mine at every air filter cleaning found out the hard way mine clogged once and made the bike ping badly,and lose power the screens are smaller than normal but it works fine

You gotta be kidding!-- if you have to stop every several hundred yards youve got some other serious problems going on i suspect--we have sold literally hundreds of these and i have used them myself for several years now-- we do NOT have to clean them every few hundred yards!--a little exageration i think!!-- you must not be cleaning them properly or something-- we have both types and i personnally have used both types -- they BOTH clog--and cleaning them is a pain-- i use a small butane blow torch wich does the task very quickly and efieciently!

#14 redneck

redneck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas/BionicB2R

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

Don't buy the one from Lewisport unless you have a 4T. They clog up way too fast on a two stroke. I know this from personal experience.

Ciao
DFW

i got mine from lewisport at an event one time and i clean mine when ever. maybe every month depending if i ride alot. just torch it and its good to go in 5 minutes.
sudo make me a sandwich

#15 ringo

ringo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Bike:Montesa
  • Club:Plonkers

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

I love it! It's come to
"Which bike....[scratch that] Which Spark Arrestor is better?"

Wilson, what fuel / oil ratio are you running? It might be possible that your using too much oil.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users