Us Forest Approved Exhaust?

toothandnail

Getting ready to leave on Thurs for Colorado to do some riding, just learned we have to have US forest service approved exhaust..... Whats the deal with that ? How do you guys ride there , does every body get new exhaust?????

None of the 8 bikes we,re taking are "approved" , none of the 4 others in my garage are either ,all but 3 are the stock exhaust.

Any tips ??????????

toothandnail,

You need to get a spark arrestor. Make sure that your state has reciprocity with

Colorado when it comes to an OHV sticker. If not make sure to stop to see your near by forest ranger to get a sticker. Last time it cost me $15.00. Looks like it is now $25.25

Ciao

DFW

I'm also heading for Colorado next week and I got one from RYP to mount on my GasGas. I don't like the clamp mounts so I devised one that uses two poprivited bent master link sides and a small, strong spring. I've used it for some time now and it works well and does not slide/vibrate off in rough circumstances.

Jon

dfwilson-- for your info-- the mesh in the one we sell and ANY other LEGAL! spark arrestor is the same-- dosent matter if it is 1 inch diameter or 10 inches!----sorry to say but--guess what-- you have to CLEAN them once in a while!

dfwilson-- for your info-- the mesh in the one we sell and ANY other LEGAL! spark arrestor is the same-- dosent matter if it is 1 inch diameter or 10 inches!----sorry to say but--guess what-- you have to CLEAN them once in a while!

I have both types one I bougth from Lewisport and one from RYPUSA and have used both on my son's 99 Sherco. The larger one stays cleaner much longer because the carbon collects in the mouth of the bell instead of impinging directly on the screen and clogging it up. You can only carry so many cans of carb cleaner in your back pack.

Stopping every several hundred yards along the trail to clean the spark arrestor is not fun.

DFW

You gotta be kidding!-- if you have to stop every several hundred yards youve got some other serious problems going on i suspect--we have sold literally hundreds of these and i have used them myself for several years now-- we do NOT have to clean them every few hundred yards!--a little exageration i think!!-- you must not be cleaning them properly or something-- we have both types and i personnally have used both types -- they BOTH clog--and cleaning them is a pain-- i use a small butane blow torch wich does the task very quickly and efieciently!

Edited by trialsage

Thanks for the info, we had RYP ship them out to Co. ,we'll pick them up when we get there, found some "sparky's" for the non trials bikes at a MC dealer where we'll get our permits. Sooooooo if everything fits we'll be good to go. I think I'll throw in my butane torch "just in case" for cleaning, I can't imagine they would need cleaning that soon , but better than trying to clean with a stick :D

:thumbup: adrian i have one of yours as well and i clean mine at every air filter cleaning found out the hard way mine clogged once and made the bike ping badly,and lose power the screens are smaller than normal but it works fine
You gotta be kidding!-- if you have to stop every several hundred yards youve got some other serious problems going on i suspect--we have sold literally hundreds of these and i have used them myself for several years now-- we do NOT have to clean them every few hundred yards!--a little exageration i think!!-- you must not be cleaning them properly or something-- we have both types and i personnally have used both types -- they BOTH clog--and cleaning them is a pain-- i use a small butane blow torch wich does the task very quickly and efieciently!

Don't buy the one from Lewisport unless you have a 4T. They clog up way too fast on a two stroke. I know this from personal experience.

Ciao

DFW

i got mine from lewisport at an event one time and i clean mine when ever. maybe every month depending if i ride alot. just torch it and its good to go in 5 minutes.