Week 81 - The Manx For 40 Years

Andy

Coincidentally that was my first and only full Manx 2 day in 1968. Done a few Manx Classics since. Always a pleasure.

Rode round with Geoff Bastow, Bill and Geoff Preistman. Whatever happened to them?

Sadly I still have the results!

The 1968 event was won by Gordon Farley - Greeves on 12 from Sammy - Bulto 17 followed by:-

Jim Sandiford - Bulto 19, Manxman W.S. Clague - Bulto on 22, Geoff Chandler - Wasp on 25

You finished 73rd on 92 Rappers.

Other riders still involved about the place in finishing order include Billy McMaster, Willie Dalton, Frank Anderton, Phil Clarkson, Steve Rayner, Dave Peet, Mick Whitlow, Bernard Rodemark, Nick Jefferies in his first ever Manx at the age of 16 in 58th place on 81, Harry Randall, Frank McMullen and Dave Loney. The late Geoff Cannell finished 19th, again on a Bulto in common with the vast majority of riders.

The sidecar class was won by Ron Langston/D. Cooper from Alan Morewood/P.Cranby and the Mountfields. Barry De Burgh was also riding.

Prize money - rare in those days was

I seem to remember the pig huts. Must have only been small but remember going to the Palace Lido car park, is that right, and something about them being in a section????

I'll ask my dad, Kevin, as I think we might have been setting them out and he was also riding.

But I could be wrong, I was probably about 4 at the time!!!

Dont know about the pig huts, but its got me thinking about the traditional first section in the Manx-Gasworks steps. It would be a waste of time now- for the main event, at least as it was so easy, but 25 years ago it was always a relief to get that section out of the way.

Nene Valley, HUX, Kenton and Kingsbury, Cambridge Matchless, Wycombe, North East London all still run trials but you wouldn't think it possible on the small areas they do still have compared to the land you use Mike.

Farnham Royal, Wood Green, Barnett, West Middlesex Amateur are pretty much finished to be honest and only a few members each. My old club Leavesden finshed many years ago as did the Bishop Stortford club and Banbury Nobac, I would think you rode trials with all those clubs. Sadly the land that they used has been lost either with the clubs demise or under the M 25 etc etc.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Hi, Rappers here. Haven't looked at the column much this week, but glad to see there have been a few replies. It's Saturday night as I type this (Auguest 30) and I've just written tomorrow's column, the 81st I have completed for Trials Central.l By gum, it's hard work!!

Anyway, back to last week's column and the pig huts.

I don't know the year but it will have been in the early 'eighties when I rode sidecars with Mannix Devlin. The last sidecar section of the trial was in the car park behind the Palace Lido and consisted of three corrugated iron pig huts. Over the first, over the second, over the third! Easy eh? Nooooooooo.

Over the first, starting as far to the right as possible as the ridges seemed to pull the chair to the left; drop off (and it was a steep drop off), then with nothing more than a bike length to find drive, force up the second. By this point the chair was REALLY pulling the outfit left and if you were still aboard, drop off the second (still a mega steep drop). By this time we would have lost all sense of direction, but again force up the third pig hut, the sidecar wheel is hanging off the left hand side; passenger is a shade too heavy and we ended up with the biggest endo crash, bike over chair you have ever seen. What a way to end the Manx!

That was the pig huts - hope they are in a field now - with pigs!

Thanks also to Stickinthemud for telling me about my results in the 1968 trial and reminiscing about that trial. Read this week's column and reminisce a bit more.

Feedback is very welcome, it makes it all worthwhile.

Edited by Hillary