Week 82 - All Tanked Up For Manx Analysis

Andy

Not the first obviously, but I seem to recall the works Suzuki ridden by Martin Lampkin having the petrol in the frame, also the OSSA special ridden by Duncan MacDonald (hope I've got the right version of the name) in the Seventies. As a by the way that one also had a set of cut down front forks acting as air sprung, I think, rear units. I'm sure there was also a Honda special based on the TL 125, possibly the Fraser, that had petrol in the top tube.

Edited by 2/4

I'm sure there was also a Honda special based on the TL 125, possibly the Fraser, that had petrol in the top tube.

Agree, Fraser made a frame kit for the TL125 in the late 70's with petrol in the top tube, and a box section swinging arm finished in a nickel chrome. As an unfortunate owner I seem to remember that after gallons of fuel in the tank that there was always crap in the tap filter, never sure whether it was the corrosion of the steel tube or remnants of the chroming.

I do have to agree about the difficulty of the route on the sunday! I found extremely hard going, some of the sections were a tad over the top, and added to that the weather made things a whole lot different! But it was the same for everyone. I help out alot with the trial and a group of us set out sections and route marked for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th groups for the saturday. Plus various other things to help the trial happen!

I don't think the sections are getting particularly harder for the nationals, the majority of the sections are of good national standard. I'd even go as far as saying that they would be slightly easier than some of the National route at the Reeth. Does anyone agree or disagree?? Even alot of the clubman sections i'd say were as good as other national trials.

It is disappointing to see the national rider numbers drop and i don't think it is through any fault of the committee or clerk of the course. It has definately become a clubman trial but the national side is still extremely competitive, hopefully more national riders will see how Graham Jarvis has enjoyed his first 2 2days and he said he will be coming for the foreseable future. Maybe even Joe Baker will make his way over to see if he can dethrone Grimbo, who knows?!!

The cost of getting to the island does add to that and i know a few riders pulled out due to that, big shame. Hopefully the steam packet will do something about that!

Just thought i'd add my 2 cents to this discussion!!!

It's interesting to hear that people thought the clubmen route was unecessarily difficult on the Sunday. From my own point of view I thought the only overly ambitious section was section 1 which involved 3rd or 4th gear bravery over some extremely slippery cambered roots. Get it wrong at speed and it was going to hurt. I just took a 5. Everything else was rideable I felt and there was nothing I looked at and thought no way I can do that.

It has to present some sort of challenge as it is a National event after all. I enjoyed it and will definitely enter again next year.

I do think they were a bit much for some clubman, but ridable. Totally agree with the first on sunday, that was ridiculous! It could have been altered for the clubman, considering the weather.

I attempted every section over the weekend and never thought i wouldn't get through them, i did enjoy the whole trial, as i always do, and i am very much looking forward to next year!

• 2 months later...

Hello Mike,

Delighted to hear that you are still going strong - would be pleased to hear from you (it's been a long time). Whilst your memory is pretty remarkable, I can keep you right on the bike (JCS - Jim Caunt Special, aka 'the beanpole' as it was popularily known...).

Very best wishes,

Henry.

From what i hear about the Manx it has got too hard for the majority of riders who used to do the hard route. This is not limited to just the Manx by any means. It seems to be a trend in a lot of national trials. The British championship is the worst. It is suited to a handfull of riders on the hard route. World rounds are the same. Too elitist for their own good.

I think there is a large divide between the best few riders in the country and the majority of experts throughout the country and it seems to get wider all the time. To keep making the hard route harder to suit the few makes it even more unpopular with the majority and the decline continues.

The hard route on most nationals have to be eased or the trials will become clubman route only events.

It can be done. The Northern experts is getting reasonable hard route entries and suits the average hard route rider but is a relatively easy day for the top lads. But at the end of the day they all enjoy it. Make it too hard and a handfull of riders will enjoy it!!!!

It's not rocket science.

From what i hear about the Manx it has got too hard for the majority of riders who used to do the hard route. This is not limited to just the Manx by any means. It seems to be a trend in a lot of national trials. The British championship is the worst. It is suited to a handfull of riders on the hard route. World rounds are the same. Too elitist for their own good.

I think there is a large divide between the best few riders in the country and the majority of experts throughout the country and it seems to get wider all the time. To keep making the hard route harder to suit the few makes it even more unpopular with the majority and the decline continues.

The hard route on most nationals have to be eased or the trials will become clubman route only events.

It can be done. The Northern experts is getting reasonable hard route entries and suits the average hard route rider but is a relatively easy day for the top lads. But at the end of the day they all enjoy it. Make it too hard and a handfull of riders will enjoy it!!!!

It's not rocket science.

Agree :thumbup: