Sprite Trials Bikes

glenn r

Thanks for the replies gents. I've just purchased one, I haven't taken delivery of it yet (see pic). I'm hoping to maybe find some literature at the Stafford show next month. I'll try to get a copy of Morley's book. Very interesting to hear you worked for them Geeman.

Thanks again.

post-3631-1220506652.jpg

post-3631-1220506940.jpg

Edited by Glenn R

I'm not 100% sure Steve, I'll know more when I've got my hands on it. Apparently it's got some good competition history so I'll post some more soon. I'm buying it from the Twinshock Shop in Devon. The tank on it is from a CCM.

Hi

I think the bike is a 1968 MK2 Sprite. These were the last with the Villiers engines.

The forks are REH, front and rear hubs are British Hub Company (as supplied when new)

I think the steering head has been steepened for quicker steering (witness the slightly bend front down tubes).

I think the ground clearance has been increased by some means and maybe longer rear units have been fitted.

And a Greeves TFS/Anglian alloy barrel has been fitted.

Of course the tank is later - but I am not certain where from. Originally it was fitted with a similar glass fibre one.

Regards

Sparks2

Sparks 2 has identified it correctly, what you have is a bike fully eligible for the British Bike 2 stroke class anywhere because it is genuine for the period. I would imagine that it will be as competitive as most anything just as it is. The British Hub hubs are very good the front one is not over heavy despite looking bulky and the brake parts very well engineered. The rear is a bit heavier due to the cush-drive, 4 bearings and numerous spacers but again plenty good enough and certainly original. What ignition system is fitted?

My first ever trials bike was a Sprite Sachs 150, I rode it for about 1 year before my Dad bought me a Montesa 250 UKR.

A couple of years ago I bought a Wassell Sachs for a trip down memory lane. Horrible, horrible, horrible, no bottom end and when it came on the power the rear wheel spun away like crazy! Sold it straight away.

The rose tinted effect was shattered.