Sprite Trials Bikes

glenn r

Hi Glenn,

When I were a lad in the UK, I had a Villiers 37A Sprite with std round barrel. It was very heavy. I looked at the 2 Sprite photos for a while and still couldn't see the support frame tube, can't remember now but I think there were either two frame tubes going from the footrest area to under the back of the tank area, or one single tube, not showing up on your photos. Steep fork angle, they were quite a bit more raked out at the front.

Tim - Ken Sedgley built up the B40 that's in my bike shed.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi

In reply to PeterB - The 1968 Sprite MK2 had no seat tube or tubes where you say. - They were built down to a price, you know.

And because of this they were very prone to frame breakages. (Well, at least, when they were riden hard in their day). Now mainly riden by us grandads and have a much easier life.

Kind Regards

Sparks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn,

I've just realised you have acquired the bike I bought about three years ago from a chap in Droitwich and which I then passed on to "Keith" in Clay Cross early last year.. from whom you bought it? But how it got to Devon I don't know!

Not long after buying it I came across the Cheetah I now ride...

When I acquired the Sprite the motor was very poor and my friend, former Centre rider, Howard Doncaster, spent a long time setting it up and testing the carb, Nametab ignition and compression ratio until it was an absolute "gem"... but I think Keith altered it! I know Keith also altered the head angle to make it turn tighter. I did not recognise it at first as Keith has also replaced it's former alloy tank with his steel "SWM" tank!

The main alteration I made was to have the steel rims replaced with new alloys and to polish up the "British" hubs. I also fitted new dampers, NJB, I think. Apart from practise I never rode the Sprite "in anger" but remember the motor to be very "soft" and the steering quite heavy and tending to push in corners with a strange over centre "caster" effect!! Maybe Keith sorted that with the head angle alteration?

Maybe catch you at Midland Classic, Peak Classic? Next run out is at the Man17 "Easy" trial this next Saturday I think..

Andyrew

Edited by Westyfield

Hi Andrew, thats great to know a bit more about where it's been. I bought it from the twinshock shop (www.twinshockshop.co.uk) so perhaps thats who Keith sold it to. Would be great to meet up with you at a trial. Struggling a bit this weekend but I'm sure we can fix something up. I bought it to replace a 350 unit twin Triumph that my Dad rides as it was getting a bit heavy for him. This one's much lighter. After a brief trip down south it's back in the Peaks again! What fuel mixture did you find best when you had it? This is the first Villiers lump I've had.

Cheers mate,

Glenn.

• 1 month later...

Trying to track down some pictures and info on the following bike. Unfortunately no photo but I know its like this!

1967-sprite.jpg

My Research so far is as follows!

Sprite is a historical British make of motorcycle, built by Hipkin & Evans, Sprite Motor Cycles, Oldbury, and later by Sprite Developments Ltd., Halesowen, Worcester (1965-1971). Sprite was an English manufacturer of trials and motocross (scrambles) machines that were mostly available in kit-form. They were built with 123-, 244-, and 405-cc two-stroke engines.

It was also 'revived' under the name 'Redorne' but there is even less info on that!

I know it is a Sprite and the engine (also Sprite) is a copy of the Husqvarna 405cc two stroke. It was also 'revived' under the name 'Redorne' but there is even less info on that!

In case your wondering the bike in question is in dire need of TLC it was retired to my parents garden shed by my father in 1984 I think (from what I remember of the tax plate!) where it has sat and rotted. The good news is I want to restore it and need more research 1 in order to convince father that it would be a good project (easy part!) and 2 to convince mother it IS a GOOD idea (hard part!)

Any help would be gratefully recieved

• 1 year later...

• 7 years later...