03 Pro Swinging Arm Bolt Removal......

francley40

I've just been taking the shock off and disassembling the linkage and want to take the swinging arm out.

Also, I've just come in for a cuppa.........

Before coming in I took off the allen headed swinging arm bolt that's adjacent to the rear brake cylinder and had a quick look around.

It doesn't seem obvious how you get the 'rest' of the swinging arm bolt out.

I was expecting to see the threaded end of the bolt, and to tap it out gently - but there isn't any bolt to tap!

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Chris.

hi there chris

what i used to do was screw the the allen headed bolt back in a couple of turns then hit that with a rubber mallet. once it was threw enough, take the bolt out and put a big pair of vise grips on the otherside and pull. (not the best way).

but what i recomend is getting a bolt with the same threds and cuttng the head off it, srew it in a couple of turns, and chap it out

hope this is helpfull

Ian.

hi there chris

what i used to do was screw the the allen headed bolt back in a couple of turns then hit that with a rubber mallet. once it was threw enough, take the bolt out and put a big pair of vise grips on the otherside and pull. (not the best way).

but what i recomend is getting a bolt with the same threds and cuttng the head off it, srew it in a couple of turns, and chap it out

hope this is helpfull

Ian.

And don't forget those two small capscrews on the back of the engine case that clamps on the pivot.

Jon

Thanks for the replies gents.

I did screw the allen bolt back and tap the pivot bolt through but I can't get enough grip on the other end with my mole grips.

So, I'll see if I can find a same-size bolt to use as a 'drift'.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks for the replies gents.

I did screw the allen bolt back and tap the pivot bolt through but I can't get enough grip on the other end with my mole grips.

So, I'll see if I can find a same-size bolt to use as a 'drift'.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

As the engine itself is a "stressed member" part of the frame structure, sometimes loosening all the engine mounting bolts takes the pressure off the swingarm pivot area. It's fairly easy to do and when you re- torque everything, you'll know the frame structure is tight.

Jon