Rtl250s Ignition Problem

fufu30400

Hi,

I've got a real problem with my bike (RTL from 87) bought this summer on ebay, it runs very, vey fine (engine is FANTASTIC !) but suddenly stops ; no relation with engine temperature (I know this could be the reason when engine is veyr hot) because it can happen at any time (engine cold or not). Of course, I've changed the spark with no success ... has anybody got this kind of problem ?

Any help appreciated

Victor

Gday Victor, I'm no RTL expert, but does it have electronic Ignition? If so (I see the TLR 200 from that year does), does the bike still have spark at the spark plug when it stops, and does it then only restart after a cool-down period (say around 10 - 20 minutes) or does it immediatly restart? If it doesnt restart straight away it probably has a failed Ignition Pulse coil which is situated on the outside of the flywheel. You can measure the resistance of these coils with an Ohm meter or Multi-meter and they should be around 300 OHMs. Any more or less than that and they have failed. Its a common problem on many bikes. You may find that one from other Hondas will fit it as a replacement. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Stork

Hi,

I've got a real problem with my bike (RTL from 87) bought this summer on ebay, it runs very, vey fine (engine is FANTASTIC !) but suddenly stops ; no relation with engine temperature (I know this could be the reason when engine is veyr hot) because it can happen at any time (engine cold or not). Of course, I've changed the spark with no success ... has anybody got this kind of problem ?

Any help appreciated

Victor

hi, had the same problem on my '87 RTL; struggeled around several months to finally find out that ti was the kill... switc button!!

I hope it'd be also for you

Hi Guys,

I bought my RTL250S 1985 bike from Neil Crosswaite, many years ago. A friend who had retired as service manager of Hull based dealership 'Miles Kingsport', looked it over for me as it was not running correctly and kept cutting out.

Neil said he thought it was the black box cdi unit, so undeterred I went ahaed and bought the bike (I think Martin had been riding some local trials on it prior to its electrical fault).

My friend had a close look at the bike and phoned me to say that he had cured the cutting problem...faulty kill button!

As said above, hope it's simple, definately sounds like it, as the bike 'cuts' when cold as well as at operating temperature.

Big John

Hi everybody,

First of all, I'd like t say that it's very pleasant to see that people on this forum are very kind and want to be helpful ! I'm a bit disapointed because I couldn't participate to the Ventoux Trial Classic last W.E. on my RTL ... I had to do it on a 240 Fantic .. shame. A guy on the only RTL250 (Rothmans colors : SPLENDID ! told me that it could be the ignition coil ... Got to check all components (CDI, HT ...) one by one, the main problem is that I don't have any electrical caracteristic for them (power, resistance etc ...).

I'm afraid the switch killing (I think it's the thing situated on the handlebar because didn't find the translation) is not responsible because it's the first test I did disconnecting him completely (both wires).... It's gonna take some time :-(

Anyway, thanks again for your help again.

Regards,

Victor

Hi Victor

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I do not know what the solution for you're problem is. The only thing a can think of is if something is vibrating loose. Make sure that all connections are secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

First of all I'd like to thank you again for all tips and advices given. You won't believe it but my ignition problem was due to this bloody spark plug cover ! Doctlrtl from this forum gave me all electrical data so I could check that all components were OK (good news because I was afraid of trying to find them if needed ...). and I discovered that the spark was fine without this fuk... cover (because of it I couldn't use my bike 2 weeks ago for the Ventoux classic trial which was GREAT).

Regards,

Victor