Acid Dipping

madcr500

ello peeps.

This is not strictly about trials but i hope someone can help.

I need to know what kind of acid they use for dipping metal petrol tanks etc to remove old paint, rust etc. Plus where can i get enough to make about 50 litres

Please only reply if you know for sure as i have had helpful people suggesting lots of stuff (guessing i think) and it just creates confusion.

There must be someone on here who has worked for an acid dipping firm.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gday,

Try these links -

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/pr...d-gas-tank.html

Here in Aus at least you can buy commercial rust removing solutions, not that cheap however. That stuff is Phosphoric Acid. Maybe try a Google search on that.

Fuel tank repair kits like "Kreem" include it as a preparation solution.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks for that. I thought it was phosphoric acid. is that a definate? I am not looking for an off the shelf treatment, i need a tank of stuff i can use again and again.

It is just bodywork i want to dip, i 'm not getting rid of bodies or anything (unless i get a visit from Gordon Brown)

I am working for a firm doing classic bike paint jobs. I dont know if i am allowed to give out the web address on here so if anyone is interested in having a look at our website you can PM me.

Marcus

You see there is a lot of science behind this subject depending upon exactly what components you are stripping and what you are trying to achieve, acid or alk, cold or hot tank, ali or steel, rust or paint.

Glass bead or sand?

Hydrogen embrittlement?

Not one standard answer in my works and knowledge. Things to keep in mind. :unsure:

Most folks here in the US have gone away from the acid dip tanks because of the cost of disposal.

I would suggest that you determine how you will be rid of the product you are getting ready to mix up, especially after you have added various other unknown chemicals too it, and determine that cost prior to doing it.

At least in the US, what you can sneak by with at your house, and still be legal, vs what you can legally do in business is very different.

Most industries have gone to other means of stripping for that reason.

And as cope said, depending upon what you are stripping, will play a large part in what stripper you use.

I can still remember searching for the aluminum casting off the front of the engine in the hot dip tank at trade school. :unsure:

Instructor thought it hilarious. Owner of the car not quite so humorous. Luckily still working close with the Junk yard and was able to find another.

Edited by Alan Bechard

Gday, my Dad restores Old Cars and he uses a mixture of Molasses I believe in a large tub for much of his larger work, like springs, transmission and engine components etc. I dont know anything about it, apart from the fact it is fairly slow, but safe for the base metal (Iron and Steel) and very effective. Maybe a google of that might come up with something. It sounds a lot easier and safer for larger jobs too.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

I am having a go at the electrolyte stripping today. Its all set up and appears to be working. Now i just have to wait and see what happens.

I expect it to shift some rust but i dont think it will have much impact on the paint, thats why i was asking about acid dipping.

So, does anyone know where i can get phosphoric acid from?

I have a gallon sitting in my office at the moment, but somehow I doubt that helps you much :unsure:

Here in the US, it would be an industrial supply chemical house. Any big city will have several.

I would bet it would be similar in the UK.

You will probably need to determine a grade and a strength or concentration, or try and reach an outside sales rep, and discuss your application and hope that person has a familiarity with what you are doing and can make some reccomendations.

My 2 cents, or pence or whatever, would be the lowest grade they commonly stock, and the percentage that they stock the most of, which will likely be the least expensive. You will then need to adjust your concentration with water as you go and get some experience.

Also, you will probably find things like naval jelly etc. at auto refinishing houses.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

Are you doing the electrolysis with Soap and a battery charger?

If you are stipping paint, there are some new Soy based strippers that show some promise, I have also used some of the Hydrogen peroxide strippers in test configurations that were pretty promising.

If it were mine, and my money, I would be looking more towards media blasting, (baking soada, plastic beads, walnut shells etc) and less too chemical stripping methods, but to each his own.

Manage it I would say :huh:

I don't know that we ever talked about how I actually make a living.

http://www.campbell.army.mil/envdiv/PPOC.htm

I like the movie.

Alan works on a neat base (I especially like the Saddam's Army Iraqi tank with the backend of a U.S. missle sticking out of the top of it) I've visited it a couple of times when my youngest son was stationed there. Clarksville also has a pretty cool winery (Beachaven Winery) that Copey should stop by when he visits Ft Campbell....:D

Seriously, the area around where Alan lives looks like it was made for Trials, it's beautiful!

Jon

Manage it I would say :D

I don't know that we ever talked about how I actually make a living.

http://www.campbell.army.mil/envdiv/PPOC.htm

I like the movie.

Yes Al, we did talk briefly about it at some point, good job there, making things work! Good to see! I have to deal with a lot of it myself and recycle everything I can in the daily shop environment.

Now if I only could turn used ATF and oil into Diesel fuel I would have it made? :huh:

Now if I only could turn used ATF and oil into Diesel fuel I would have it made? :D

Filter well and cycle through at about 10% ratio, (one buddy is centrifuging it to clean it)

Some say no harm, others scream of the "stuff" being bad etc. etc.

I think I am going to go for an older cab forward Isuzu with simple injection pump so I can experiment more with that and the bio-diesel stuff.

Not sure I am ready to feed my 99 stroke on it yet, afraid I cannot afford it if it spits it up.

In the FWIW you should be getting paid for it when they haul it off, it is fairly easy to make bunker fuel, or fuel oil out of.

I think we are currently getting about 40 cents a gallon.

Added on edit

http://www.clarustechnologies.com/manufact...lcat/index.html

we looked at these and one from Baldwin as well, while it seems logical, with my customer I can see it now, every time something breaks on the truck, it would be because of that "black Fuel" and yes, it does turn it black.

We do use their Titan (or tornado, whatever they call it today) and recycle pretty clean JP-8. So far I believe I have the only successful program doing that and bringing it back to full spec.

M1A1 runs about 6 gallons to the Mile, when I think my fuel bill is bad, I think of theirs and chuckle ;)

Edited by Alan Bechard