Acid Dipping

madcr500

Filter well and cycle through at about 10% ratio, (one buddy is centrifuging it to clean it)

Some say no harm, others scream of the "stuff" being bad etc. etc.

I think I am going to go for an older cab forward Isuzu with simple injection pump so I can experiment more with that and the bio-diesel stuff.

Not sure I am ready to feed my 99 stroke on it yet, afraid I cannot afford it if it spits it up.

In the FWIW you should be getting paid for it when they haul it off, it is fairly easy to make bunker fuel, or fuel oil out of.

I think we are currently getting about 40 cents a gallon.

Added on edit

http://www.clarustechnologies.com/manufact...lcat/index.html

we looked at these and one from Baldwin as well, while it seems logical, with my customer I can see it now, every time something breaks on the truck, it would be because of that "black Fuel" and yes, it does turn it black.

We do use their Titan (or tornado, whatever they call it today) and recycle pretty clean JP-8. So far I believe I have the only successful program doing that and bringing it back to full spec.

M1A1 runs about 6 gallons to the Mile, when I think my fuel bill is bad, I think of theirs and chuckle :rotfl:

Al, a I deal with a fair amount of this stuff on a daily basis, I do have some basic theories. Adding a bit of clean ATF to yours would probaby add some lubricity to the low sulpher fuel, doubt it would help the cetane rating or economy, but not bad.

In my '04 with the CAT, I highly suspect the lube additives in ATF would "kill the cat", and personally, I like the cat, cleaner and removes most of the offensive diesel odor and smoke without killing performance, not a bad thing, seems to really work!

But back to basics, I also have a simple theory that a gravity drip system through a 1-2 micron filter would give a decent yield of ATF for a "up to " supplement for your old one. Overall a small gain at a small price, even somewhere near a 10 gallon payback!

Just a bit of low cost oil basically, otherwise like most, I cannot justify creating my own biofuel from frenchfry oil! :D

You really don't want to know about the new stuff and smokeless diesels, it basically sucks! ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had this built and installed to help me with our processes.

Can't decide if I am going to call it the coffee pot, or put fins on it so it looks like a rocket :D

Hmmmm,

see if this pic works

113708d1226081390-interesting-welding-statement-dcfc0014.jpg

Should help me drop out contaminates.

Most the stuff I deal with is not late model enough to worry about the Cat stuff anyway.

I just had this built and installed to help me with our processes.

Can't decide if I am going to call it the coffee pot, or put fins on it so it looks like a rocket :D

Hmmmm,

see if this pic works

113708d1226081390-interesting-welding-statement-dcfc0014.jpg

Should help me drop out contaminates.

Most the stuff I deal with is not late model enough to worry about the Cat stuff anyway.

The suspense is killing me. Get the picture working before i pop.

Hmmm, shows as the picture itself in my browser. Sometimes I hate computers.

Anyway, it is my new processing tank for JP-8 recycling.

Cone bottom ;)

Swirl / vortex seperation :)

Tall narrow shape :D

I often get "cross contamination" cases between gas and diesel due to misfueling and am unsure what to do with that stuff. No way to test it!

The PURE diesel with dirt or water I can let settle out and take good clean fuel off the top, simply, in a small drum.

I recently had a diesel contamination case which I could not identify, fuel was dark like carbon? Let it settle for a month and never cleared? Out of the two 15gal drums of it, I took 20 gal off the top for heater fuel, balance in the waste oil. A lot did settle out on the bottom, yet not enough for auto fuel.

As you stated, there is a market for waste oil, it can be recycled and refined to marketable product, if you have your own refinery? We do a tradeoff with the recycler, as they pick up used filters, supply parts washers and service them, clean our sand traps and a few other things! They take the antifreeze too, I do not mess with it, although I did work at a place many years that did. Not a large enough scale to make it worthwhile. Yet on a good week, I could have up to 500 gal of waste oil for them, and three big drums of used filters! :D

Most of the fuel / oil recyclers just go for a lowest common denominator blend such as a bunker fuel type deal, they would like your mixed stuff :D The most common places that I am aware of it being used is things like cement kilns and asphalt burners, they run some pretty "rough" fuels.

Seperating them down in a distillery and recracking etc. is still a bit out there. That said, I think we used about 100 drums of re-refined 15/40 in the last three months.

You crushing your filters and hot draining? I would think in Texas you could landfill them. After all, oil came from the ground ;)

Yes, most recycling definetely works better on scale. We do about 80,000 gallons a year of used oil.

We recycled about 30,000 gallons (I think it was) of Antifreeze last year, we do it in house in a home brew system. One of my pet peeves are all the folks trying to do small batch antifreeze. No quality control, no outside checks, test strip checking at best, then the recycled product gets a bad name and that is very, very hard to overcome.

We also in housed refrigerant for a while, but again, economy of scale it is cheaper to send it to the big seperators.

Oh, and too the mystery fluid, we literally see it every day and depending on how certain we are of what it is determines our actions. We have had to actually TCLP some of the stuff to figure out what we were dealing with.

I hope you are just dealing with green ATZ as the HOAT(orange long life) is just nasty crap in my mind. I don't like it, yet everything comes with it!

It just goes off to the recycler! Let them sort it! It is rated at 5yr or 100,000 miles, not for me! But yes, my modern came with it, which I still exchanged after three! :D

We just do green EG standard fully formulated.

The newer stuff too me, was to fix a problem, that was not a problem, and then caused some real problems.

I just want to look at folks and tell them good greif, pop your hood and have a little maintenance done before 5 years goes by. An ounce of prevention is definetely worth a pound of cure.