True Canadian National Series

spenser

Is there anyone out there that would support the return of a true and balanced Canadian National trials series with the result being Canada sending it's best to the TDN? The rules seem a little cloudy on the subject of team selection but with some lobby work to the CMA (or MMC if they ever get FIM sanctioning) I would like to see if we could make this a reality. This is not meant to start forum for people to vent their spleens at the CMA; but rather to see if people want to see us move forward.

Spencer Fitschen

Is there anyone out there that would support the return of a true and balanced Canadian National trials series with the result being Canada sending it's best to the TDN? The rules seem a little cloudy on the subject of team selection but with some lobby work to the CMA (or MMC if they ever get FIM sanctioning) I would like to see if we could make this a reality. This is not meant to start forum for people to vent their spleens at the CMA; but rather to see if people want to see us move forward.

Spencer Fitschen

it would be great to see it, what it takes is for all to join the cma, all hold cma sanctioned events and participate in the all the cma national series. the fim currently recognizes the cma. if the mcc ever holds the role that the cma does now then the same would apply to the mcc. getting the top riders in the same place or in all of the series is logistics, but they seem to manage in other countries. so ya, i'm all for it, however, if there is a cma event here in ontario - i'll ride it, if there is a mcc event - i'll ride it, i would like to see everyone in ontario united under the same sanctioning body, then, i would like to see everyone in canada do the same. right now, the only viable choice with fim recognition is the cma.

oh btw, in my experience in other sports, no matter who is the sanctioning body there will always be people not happy and problems. this is the same in everything. so, the mcc may look like the next great thing but in the end they will have to deal with the same issues the cma does right now. they will also have to make decision not agreeable to all. it's the nature of the beast.

cheers, i do support a united canada

bob billyard

I think you are onto something with that statement.... about the Mcc having to deal with the exact same issues as the CMA. The CMA has never made any attempt to unite trials riders in this country in my 30+ yrs of riding. This has led to where we are now. Spencer is right, and as we have tryed a few times before, to unite all the riders and let the riders govern the sport they know about. Not putting those words in his mouth either, I beleive we all want the same thing. If in fact the MCC makes an effort to support trials and lets the riders have direct feedback the way that the states does with the NATC/AMA aliance, we will then be able to move forward.

Well at least on the Enduro front the WEC/MCC have put together a National series that looks very promising

http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13482

For $700 your bike plus a few extras are transported across the country to the events. From there you can fly out, spend a week plus and ride 4 events (2 per weekend).

Given the locations selected makes me wonder if a National 8 event Trial (4 locations) could not piggy back onto this Enduro series as the logistics are pretty much in place...even if the trial was Mon Tues and Thur Fri.

Just maybe something will evolve

Richard.

As of today, the WEC is sanctioning a Canadian Championship for trials in our country that is worthy of our support. Finally an organization that seems to not only recongnize the obstacles of riders travelling accross our great country, but willing to help support and co-ordinate in the logistics of travel too. I hope that everyone from coast to coast can support this new venture and make us all proud!

Cheers, Steve

As of today, the WEC is sanctioning a Canadian Championship for trials in our country that is worthy of our support. Finally an organization that seems to not only recongnize the obstacles of riders travelling accross our great country, but willing to help support and co-ordinate in the logistics of travel too. I hope that everyone from coast to coast can support this new venture and make us all proud!

Cheers, Steve

great first step, i never been to the okanagan, mmmm

cheers

The most pending issue is of FIM affiliation so that riders could go to the TDN then. If I understand things, the FIM follows the riders, so the next thing to do would be for the WEC/MCC to mount a blitz for membership, starting with clubs then going to riders; this, along with people that have contacts within the FIM who could lobby on their behalf, and the coveted affiliation could be a reality.

I do have some questions as to how the the WEC/MCC National series was rolled out. If they were trying to get wide support, why wouldn't they have contacted the other clubs affected (at least their executive), so when the CMA came knocking looking for hosts for National events, appropriate responses could have been prepared? Of all of the riders that I have talked to that have riden Nationals, both Canadian and US, and riden internationally, none gave me any indication that they knew of this initiative; just hoping that the best riders will attend is not enough, they should be pursued, as their support gives credance to the series.

Spencer

Spencer - The decision on how to go about this new series, was not some spur of the minute idea, no matter what event is held, there is no guarantee that riders will show up - you have found that out yourself. - The series is a result of discontent with the present system - if riders come - great - if they prefer to do otherwise, so be it. - the reason the Outlaw Trial was chosen as the inaugural event, is because it has a 22 year history, and a proven record of approx 60 riders every year. - This is only the start - I anticipate other clubs wanting to host the Western Championship in 2010. - I stress that what the CMA decide is of no consequence to either the WEC and certainly not the Manufacturer supported MCC.

after thinking on this for a few days i do feel the principle of trials riders in canada uniting under a common sanctioning body certainly makes sense and i can support that. the mcc has it's work cut out for them to sustain a workable system, develop governing rules and of course enforcing them and obtaining fim recognition. a tall order for sure.

let's make sure we set the table for the young riders to progress, they are the most important.

now i'm trying not be negative, just realistic, holding a national round in the east and west every year will not be sustainable. you may get attendance year one but soon enough asking riders to travel across the country both ways every year will be too much.

as a suggestion or constructive input, hold a two day national in the east in 2009 - (the west guys travel) - hold 2010 2 day in the west - (the east guys travel) etc, etc. please take baby steps. why do we need two rounds 4000 km apart. it just seem too ambitious.

cheers

bob billyard

Bob; I like what you said about the importance of setting the table for the younger riders to progress, that is very important. And the idea of Nationals held East one year, then West the next also bears consideration; has this been tried before? It would certainly keep the travelling costs down, unless sponsorship could be had. Another issue remains: how to decide the TDN members and coaches. I am in the camp of results based selection, not team manager selection. Any thoughts?

Spencer

• 3 weeks later...

Good work, guys.

I like the idea of having the Championship in the West one year and the East the next.

I think it will help with sponsorship, because at least every second year you have the chance to prove yourself to the sponsors, on your own dime, and the sponsor is only really needed every second year.