What Were Your Most Common Mistakes When You First Started Trialing?

in addition to learning figure 8's/turns, throttle control, clutch control, other important things are bike set up (handle bar position, suspension sag, etc), learning how to read terain and then applying the appropriate technique to the section, i also ride the curb to practice being able to hold a narrow line,

This is a great thread- i have just started trials and am finding it great fun but a little alien. Was pretty good at m-cyclesports- motocross- supersport ( in the past ) but have never done trials before- very different- I have been going to a local quarry every other day to get my skills up to speed- I hope that within 3 months ( ?) I`ll be at least OK for a novice.

cheers

Bob

When you move from other forms of riding to trials you almost need to throw a lot of what you know out the window. Throttle control is good but clutch control is better. Watch what your better riders do they set the engine speed with the throttle then they control the back tire with the clutch. Find that sweat spot in a turn where a little throttle and a little clutch makes the bike run smoooth, find that and you can turn a lot better.

• 5 months later...

Don't underestimate the bike. I fived a section 3 times this last weekend before I stopped thinking I needed to powerblast my way up a long climb (thinking I needed lots of momentum). I watched some little kid ride up the steepest part sitting down. So I stopped trying to race with momentum and just rode up nice and easy feathering the clutch for grip and life was much easier.

less speed with a feathered clutch = LOTS more grip than moving fast and applying lots of power. I kept sliding out ont he cross hill. Oh well I won't forget next time.

Don't underestimate the bike. I fived a section 3 times this last weekend before I stopped thinking I needed to powerblast my way up a long climb (thinking I needed lots of momentum). I watched some little kid ride up the steepest part sitting down. So I stopped trying to race with momentum and just rode up nice and easy feathering the clutch for grip and life was much easier.

less speed with a feathered clutch = LOTS more grip than moving fast and applying lots of power. I kept sliding out ont he cross hill. Oh well I won't forget next time.

Too right. I find small pulses of throttle helps too, not enough to throw your balance, but just helps let the wheel speed match the ground speed and bite the terrain.

• 2 weeks later...
Too right. I find small pulses of throttle helps too, not enough to throw your balance, but just helps let the wheel speed match the ground speed and bite the terrain.

does anyone have any manual for trial??would you like to send me??please pm..

thanks brother

• 4 months later...