Bike Cleaning Procedure

flyingpeach

something I always try to to before loading the bike up after a trial is swill off the worst of mud etc. A bucket and brush and a puddle or stream makes an awful lot of difference when you get home. If nothinhg available I always atleast try and go home with clean tyres by riding throgh long grass etc. It is amazing how much mud collects in the tread block and is really time consuming to get rid of.

I carry my bikes and gear in a little 6X10 enclosed trailer so I try not to bring too much terrafirma home with me. What I've found useful is a 3 gal spray bottle from the garden store. It takes up little room and I've attached a Schrader valve to it so I can hookup a small tire air compressor to keep it at 30 PSI to wash off the bike (this bottle came with a neat little 30 PSI popoff valve on it), using a long bristle brush, before loading it up. I think I've had this one for 10 years and although I don't always need it, it sure has come in handy at times.

Jon

Jon, I can recall a few times that would have come in handy, but not for cleaning the bike! You see, I often get this velcro feeling in the shorts after -------- oh well, you know! Can we just warm the water a bit! :thumbup:

Copey,

now you're scaring me........

Jon

Good link DF! Tony knows his stuff!

As he has brought thing out here that others(myself included) have not gone into on our brief posts, we are in agreement on most things it seems!

His stuff is precious! Mine is not! Yet mine is many times a tradeoff! The "Bayou Mud' is nothing as compared to Muenster Mud! Highly corrosive iron content and you just need to get it off, now! By whatever means, and a soft wash will not suffice! The stuff is soo fine you will be picking it out your eyes , ears and a*** after a week of showers! Tony, don't go there!

As a note, I do seem to be having some luck on the wheels, using the DC-111(silecon) compound! Seems coating the threads and nips prior to install is keeping corrosive moisture out of the wheel for the most part. A real pain to do initially!

Cheers,