Map Switch

postmanpat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,i'm new to Gasgas,i've an'04 250 Pro......looking at the wiring diagram,there seems to be a switch to change the ignition curve,my bike hasn't one,is it supposed to? :guinness:

I don't think your bike came with one (unless it was the 04' Raga model, but I think that came with a Ducati programmable type using an EPROM, not a dual-map, and needed a hookup and laptop). From what I remember, it started with the 05' models (most of the next years changes are released the prior year on the Ragas) and over here the dual-map ignition system (Ducati, I think the first year) was two wires under the front of the tank (orange-black). Plugged in was the slow curve and disconnected was the fast curve (the mapping curves, as I was told, are the same up to about 2500 RPM, and then the "fast" curve advances quicker, which is why most riders can't tell the difference, riding at lower RPMs).

The 06' models came with a handlebar mounted switch and the 05's can work the same just by adding the 06' switch.

Jon

i have got a 2009 125 gasgas,will mine have this mapping switch?on my handlebars there are two switches one controls the lights and the other one appears to do nothing could this be the mapping switch?

Ya know, I'm not sure if the 125's have it. It will be a dark housing in most cases, with a red buttoned rocker type switch with a symbol for a sun and a raincloud in most cases. Sun=fast curve, cloud=slower curve.

Jon

what does the different mapping settings acctualy do?

The CDI controls the spark advance (plug firing so many degrees before Top Dead Center, or "TDC" as it usually is known) and on a typical CDI equipped two-stroke, the spark advances to a certain point and then retards at high RPM (for reasons too complicated to explain here). What the "fast" curve does is, after a certain RPM (reportedly 2500) the advance is more "steep" than the "slow" setting, and gives a little more torque/power due to the fact that the combustion pressures are higher (since the flame front was started earlier) when the piston reaches TDC.

In real-life terms, the upper RPM power delivery usually feels a little "softer" with the slow setting, which makes it easier to dial-in the appropriate power when faced with marginal traction conditions, like a muddy hill and slick rocks. The "fast" setting is supposed to allow the engine to produce better power on surfaces where the traction is good and the power can be used easily.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's a somewhat oversimplifed answer.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Ya know, I'm not sure if the 125's have it. It will be a dark housing in most cases, with a red buttoned rocker type switch with a symbol for a sun and a raincloud in most cases. Sun=fast curve, cloud=slower curve.

Jon

I am pretty new to trials bikes and have just bought an 08 gas gas 280.

Reading this post i realised that my bike has this same switch.

Can you tell me is the difference in the two curves actually noticable when riding or is it a very sublte difference.

Also when riding on the lower timing curve is it alot different than the original timing curve.

Do you know if there is a website where i can find out more info on this switch. I would just like to know how to find out if it is connected properly and check it is in working order.

Thanks.

I am pretty new to trials bikes and have just bought an 08 gas gas 280.

Reading this post i realised that my bike has this same switch.

Can you tell me is the difference in the two curves actually noticable when riding or is it a very sublte difference.

Also when riding on the lower timing curve is it alot different than the original timing curve.

Do you know if there is a website where i can find out more info on this switch. I would just like to know how to find out if it is connected properly and check it is in working order.

Thanks.

The switch itself is a simple on/off switch that connects to the CDI via two wires under the front of the fuel tank. The switch can be easily checked for operation with a voltmeter that has a buzzer setting that indicates an open or closed circuit.

Jon

My 125 07 gas gas has the mapping switch but it doesnt seem to make any difference wheather it is on the cloudy or sunny part :huh:

I haven't seen the actual mapping sequence, but I understand it diverts after about 2500 RPM, so just putting around will not give you a sense of the difference.

Jon

The switch itself is a simple on/off switch that connects to the CDI via two wires under the front of the fuel tank. The switch can be easily checked for operation with a voltmeter that has a buzzer setting that indicates an open or closed circuit.

Jon

Thanks Jon