Hello From A Cold North Wales.

soloman

Hi All,

New to Trials and the whole off road thing to be honest, got hooked after an off road try out day run by another forum i use.

Had the last few years riding on track, after getting fed up of nearly being killed riding on the road.

Anyway, big accident this year, resulting in 2 breaks to my pelvis and 1 to my back, and its time to slow down for a while so thought trials was the ideal thing to get my bike fix and get me fit at the same time!

So far......I love it!! Can't get enough in fact and just want to build on my skill level....or lack of it should i say!!

Bought a 2001 GasGas TXT 250 as my first bike and so far have found it a very good introduction and very forgiving.

Anyway, can anybody give me some info on where i can get out in the North Wales area, which is novice friendly??

The only place i've been so far is a farm out on the Ruthin to Bala road?? Don't know the name of it, but the farmer's called Llou i think and its a reasonably big place with lots to do so will keep me entertained for a while.

Any tips or help appreciated as i've got A LOT to learn.

Cheers

Steve :hyper:

Hi Soloman,

Yep yer not wrong its flippen cold here at the Mo!

Check out the Colwyn Club, The Denbigh and Mold, Wrexham and Bro Cader.

Depends, where abouts are You in North Wales ref somewhere to practice etc.?

Must admit, I,m a bit out of touch, not ridden for a long time.

Just connected to this Forum to check things out myself.

You should be able to pick up Trials and Motocross news at yer local Tescos or somewhere.

This will give news of events locally too.

The Colwyn club (which I was a member of way back) runs good events but the websight seems down.

Anyone know why?

Oops, just re read, you've been playing about between Ruthin and Bala.

Oswestry club too if your based down that bit of the World.

Bro Cader events then could be a starter for you.

Trials is nice and slow so you won't hurt yourself anymore!

Snigger Snigger!!!

Good luck!

Hi gents,

I too am in north wales, an yes a chill in the air at the mo

I'm new to the trials thing also, well bikes in general, started riding this year.

Only got the trials bike a couple of weeks ago so very little time on that so far

Think the farm your refering to is wern ddu, I've been there on my enduro bike but not the trials yet. very good place to have a play around, there's a bit of everything there, some clubs hold events there also.

There are a couple of places near me which i've been told of not been yet, so don't no what there like or even if it is still possible to go there, I live just outside mold if your near me could pass the details on to you

Happy riding.........

Morning Kwaka/txt! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, forgot to mention, I'm based in the Holywell area, so not very far from you txt.....

Any info you have is more than welcome as i just want somewhere to go reasonably local.

Doesn't have to be that big, just somewhere to practice the very basics where i'm not at risk of looking a k**b in front of some infinately better riders??

Cheers

Steve

just somewhere to practice the very basics where i'm not at risk of looking a k**b in front of some infinately better riders??

I have this trouble when going on my enduro bike and will be the same on the trials, I wouldn't worry about it too much tho I don't anymore, everybody has to start somewhere, i'm by far the worse rider out of the group I ride with, they are in the expert/clubman/sportsman classes where as i'm just a beginner, if anything it helps because they give pointers and tips, I expect the trial bike riders will be the same.

As for practise I will find out if it is possible or not to go at the places I have been told and let you know, there just a couple of miles up the road from me so will nip up there in the next few days

I'm lucky in that I have a bit of land at home to practise on, a couple of fields and a bit of a wooded area with a river running through it. It's quite good only down side is it's muddy so grip can be a issue.

Once I get my bike sorted you could come up here for a play one day, something a bit different as most places are dry rocky stuff

[quote

Thanks for the info, forgot to mention, I'm based in the Holywell area, so not very far from you txt.....

Cheers

Steve

Blimey, small world used to live round there!

Used to go up the B5121 to the A541 cross that towards Llangynhafal and such places.

Wiggle about all those little roads towards the A525 Denbigh /Ruthin road cross that and find bits of places to practice between Nantglyn / Gyffylliog and Bontuchell.

From memory the Wrexham club and Lads from round there practice at a place called Ffrydd or Ffrith on the B5101 North West of Wrexham.

Think I would just go an Enter the nearest next event.

Join the Club and have a go.

Just do the easy route.

Then ask around afterwards, peeps will know the practice areas.

Don't matter what level you are at.

Once you stick your toe in the water it just gets better!

If I was still in your area I would have a ride out and find somewhere you think might do and then approach the Farmer/ Landowner.

Amazing what can be had for a case of booze these days!

My Son has found a few places by Us.

But it's around Anglesey.

Aha! just noticed You are close to TX_280, get together You Guys. It's great practicing together.

Go for it Steve

Cheers

K

Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

Been out today over to Ruthin and i just have one question......What is this, Be like a Tree?????

Met some guy up there and thats the advice he gave me, but never explained himself......he just told me to find out?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

Been out today over to Ruthin and i just have one question......What is this, Be like a Tree?????

Met some guy up there and thats the advice he gave me, but never explained himself......he just told me to find out?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sounds like he was asking you to leave.

It's a corny old saying only ever said by numptys but I think that's it. Be like a tree and leaf (leave).

Where was it and who was he?

Hi steve,

Where abouts by ruthin did you go??

Hiya mate,

Just up to the farm again, on the Ruthin/Bala road.

Spent most of the day on my slow speed control and balance.

Might well be up there again at the weekend if your interested??

Don't know what day yet but a definate possibility.

Sounds like he was asking you to leave.

It's a corny old saying only ever said by numptys but I think that's it. Be like a tree and leaf (leave).

Where was it and who was he?

No, was definately NOT that.

We were talking about techniques and he gave me loads of good advice but just wouldn't explain the "be like a tree" thing?

I've had a look online and found loads of references to it, but no explanation as yet.

Ah well, just have to keep looking!

• 1 month later...

Hi, just a quicky, to say i help out organising and the website for Denbigh and Mold trials club. You really should come along to one of our trials and have a go, we have a lot of experienced riders who are more than willing to help you in any way thay can. We also have a lot of novice riders, who come to meet new people and have a laugh basically. have a look at our website, and if there is anything i can help you with. Drop me a mail

Paul

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I am another Newby. I am a Superbike trackday rider fed up with the weather. Did the Leek trial intro day and throughly enjoyed it. Denbigh based and in need of loads of practice to undo the road bike bad influence. Will take your advice and contact/introduce myself to your group.

Hello Gents, my wife is pressuring me, or at least trying to, into moving to Wales for awhile (she is Welsh and I'm Scottish but our families have been in Canada for several generations). We currently live in British Columbia, Canada but she has been going over to Wales to teach Collage field school for a couple years and now she's doing her PHD at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David which will take her back there a few more times over the next few years. Next year I'm going to tag along and ride around Wales on 2 wheels to get a taste of the place. I'd love to bring my new Sherco and ride there. 2 years ago we flew over and rode around Ireland for a week on a BMW1200GS and toured Scotland for another. I very much loved the country side and can't wait to come back. Not sure how long I could put up with the miserable weather though. Here in BC we get allot of rain and the temps never usually get over 26C but wow, you guys don't seem hardly ever get to see the sun. Anyway, just wanted to drop in and say hello............ :guinness: