Tr34 Engine Size 12.5177

nicks_tr34

Its a long story, but my TR34 was sold to me as a 260 ... I am now in doubt that is true .. I think it might be a 125 ...

So, bearing in mind Beta is closed for the day - how can I tell the engine size of my Beta?

Most bikes I owned give the CC on the botoom/side of the barrel, I'd expect a 260 to say something like '258cc 'and a 125 to say perhaps '124cc'

Its says 12.5177 on the barrel ... first time I looked, I simply thought it was a part code as it didn't follow the traditional format, but I am now wondering if that actually means the engine size in decilitres, so 12.5177 is 125.177cc???

Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Help!!

Edited by Nicks_TR34

Hi Nick

Mine also has that number on it and was sold as a 260cc, hadn't considered decilitres though...

Although I don't know the answer, it seems unlikely to have the capacity measured to 1/10000 of a decilitre. All the road bikes I've owned have the capacity corect to 1cc

How has progress been on yours?

Ive sent my coil and stator to Spain to be fixed, hopefully thatll fix it...if it doesnt, I'm all out of ideas :wub:

not sure about the capacity measurement, but you could take the head off the barrel, not too hard to do in the frame and the measure the width of the cylinder / piston. Around 72-76mm will be a 250-260 cc on TR240 - TR34. Similar bottom-ends on the bikes.

Thanks for the responses everyone! :wub:

From Tinde's table, looks like it IS a 260 in the end ... phew!! :) ... what an odd numbering system though!!

What actually started all this off was that I just bought some new front pads ... FA99's stated on EBC's catalog. And they don't fit!! (couldn't identify the part number on the pads that came out beforehand).

So I went looking at the pictures in the EBC catalog .. the ones that were in my caliper appear to be the same size/shape as FA115s - NOT the listed FA99s ..

Looking back at what the FA115s fit, they fit the 125 ... :D ... now a lot of other stuff that was said at time of sale was not found to be true/accurate, hence my panic ... my mind is now at rest over the CC ... but a little confused still at the front pads/caliper ... I can only assume it has a 125cc front end? or perhaps the caliper mounts are the same and it simply has a 125 caliper ... or even BETA just happened to throw what they had lying about in the parts bin on my bike from new?

Loomesy - as you can see, everything with this bike so far has been a conspiracy against me :D ... but after a lot of work and a few quid,I am really happy with the results.

I could do with a new tyre, but I have pretty much reached the end of what I intend to do with it. I could spend forever more on titivation, but now everything that is important is working ... the engine characteristics are really good, it pulls like a tractor from no revvs, yet you can open the throttle and it doesn't spring into instant life (which is ideal for trails novice) .. I have ridden GrahamJayZee's Rev3 and I found it a bit too sprightly off the throttle ... I am sure I could get used to that, but the TR deffo has a more user friendly motor ... I am sure if I was doing the expert route, a more frisky engine might be a bonus, but doing the novice route, I think I'd rather have my motor over the Rev3's ;)

So in summery, I feel the guy that sold it to me was either an idiot or a crook (perhaps a little of both ;)), but after LOTS of time/fiddling I now have the bike to a state I am content with ... sure it is not perfect still (front wheel is a little buckled for example, could do with the rear shock serviced too) but it is now an ideal beginners bike for me ... it served me well on my first trial and after the lessons learned there, I have made a few further improvements. Looking forward to my next trial! :P

Edited by Nicks_TR34

There's one other important addition you haven't yet tried;

A bucket of soapy water and a sponge!

:wub:

:D

It looks more manly with a bit of mud on it .... I spent hours rebuilding with new bearings, then re-packing that rear shock linkage with grease ... I am not going to wash all that good grease/hard work away now am I!! :P

:D

It looks more manly with a bit of mud on it .... I spent hours rebuilding with new bearings, then re-packing that rear shock linkage with grease ... I am not going to wash all that good grease/hard work away now am I!! :P

Let's face facts; you need all the manliness you can get...

:wub: