Wrist Tendonitis

Hi,

I've somehow manged to get tendonitis in my left wrist from using the clutch on my trials bike and I'm getting desperate for ideas on how to cure it. I think it started about 2 months ago from a mild sprain and now , about half way in at a trial I suddenly can't pull the clutch in anymore without sever pain in my wrist. I've tried resting it for over 2 weeks and it didn't seem to help. I also had quite an amusing time at the doctors trying to explain that it only hurts when I use my index finger and why I couldn't use my other fingers to help pull the clutch in. I'm pretty sure it's the tendon running from my index finger thats inflammed from overuse, so a form of repetitive strain injury. Has anyone had anything similar from trials and if so is there anyway to get round it, other than not riding or riding without using the clutch? I thought maybe I could alter the position of the clutch lever??

Any suggestions/ advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gary

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 50% or more suffer from this a one time or another. I found keeping the wrist warm and supported helped.

Boots sell a neoprene type support that's a bit like a fingerless mit and goes 3 -4 inches up the forearm.

The Addict got that in his right wrist in the '80's !!!!, nowt to do with riding a bike something he was telling me about ''Blondie'', ''Kim Wilde'' and ''Roxette''

:rotfl::huh: I aint telling Gizza anything personal ever again even if true,

Edited by The Addict

Is it best to use one or two, or three or four? :huh:

Is that why the pro's use the long levers! :rotfl:

Seriously though, I am still running 2 springs out of the clutch, takes abit of getting used to, but light and sweet with the light oil. Running the Merc fully synthetic ATF. Not for all, but certainly reduces the stress!

Edited by copemech

Is it best to use one or two, or three or four? :(

Is that why the pro's use the long levers! :beer:

Seriously though, I am still running 2 springs out of the clutch, takes abit of getting used to, but light and sweet with the light oil. Running the Merc fully synthetic ATF. Not for all, but certainly reduces the stress!

What does your clutch work like with that set up?

• 5 weeks later...

I've always suffered with arm pump in my left hand from using the clutch. I try and take the pressure off by using all of my fingers out of section and reverting to one and two fingers in section as gtgasgas suggests.

I am experimenting with different levers and different positions at the moment. I've heared lots of opinions on how the levers should be positioned. Many say if they are pointing upwards too much, this causes arm pump.

What I'm hoping is someone will come along and set them in the ideal position for me... but is there such a thing!?

I also crush my middle finger a lot when using 1 finger on the clutch when brushing past trees etc. So I now have AJP shorty levers, but these probably wont help arm pump much! :(