Beta's Extra Fuel Tank.

asc

.......................and your solution is?

Its not the club, its the rules. Its the manufactures who make the tanks smaller every year it seems.

Maybe some of the flack should be redirected in their direction.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the club, its the rules. Its the manufactures who make the tanks smaller every year it seems.

Maybe some of the flack should be redirected in their direction.

Agreed, but the manufacturers are not going to change their development course for the Scottish anymore, it's all about WTC, rightly or wrongly. Gas Gas/Shirty got the bigger tanks made for the gassers which gave them enough range but them and maybe Montesa are the only one that could do that I suspect, Betas, Shercos, Scorpa etc design prevents that kind of development without changing the whole nature of the bikes.

I suspect the old rules needs review but that's down to Overthehill and the rest to make that decision, if they want to, there's no obligation to do that.

Agreed, but the manufacturers are not going to change their development course for the Scottish anymore, it's all about WTC, rightly or wrongly. Gas Gas/Shirty got the bigger tanks made for the gassers which gave them enough range but them and maybe Montesa are the only one that could do that I suspect, Betas, Shercos, Scorpa etc design prevents that kind of development without changing the whole nature of the bikes.

I suspect the old rules needs review but that's down to Overthehill and the rest to make that decision, if they want to, there's no obligation to do that.

Its my understanding that the rules are Acu, fuel in inappropriate containers and quantities are not something Mark has any control over, other than following the guidelines.

I'm not defending the rules, but the club cannot flout them. I think the majority of new legislation is over the top, but you have to target the rule makers.

A Gas Gas will go round Scotland on a standard tank, the only time I ran out of fuel was when it had been knocked over parked at a section & was laid out upside down. There are several times that I know of that folk have run out because fuel checks have not been in the correct place, 2004 when Tuesday ran the other way round springs to mind.

The answer to the question is this: What does it state in the regulations for the SSDT?

It is the regulations coupled with the specifications in the TSR's in the ACU handbook which dictates what is and is not permissable!

Big John

There's also Construction and use Regs etc which the Club has to run within and can't change. I don't have a copy, but add on tanks may well fall foul of this sort of thing.

in long distance off road trials I have caried one of these ( in my bum bag) http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/review...5/rgn/4/sp//v/1

never had to use it but at 9 quid its a steal just in case ( other brands and retailers are availble)

Fair point and product totalshell, however, these are not supposed to carry petrol! In fact if you get right down to the legislative part of the problem, people are not supposed to be carrying around bottles of petrol around at any time anyway, never mind during a trial! This is the sole and primary reason why the promoting club took over the refuelling issue some many years ago, to hopefully avoid riders and followers fuelling machines themselves. The only legitimate place to refuel any vehicle is at a fuel station!

I should point out that in my earlier posting, Shirty did have some bikes fitted with a professionally made auxiliary fuel tank fitted to avoid riders running dry of fuel. AND he didn't think it would have caused any concern as these had been made specifically for the job by a reputable manufacturer. The organisers representative (at that time) objected and after meaningful discussion, the competitors capitulated and removed the extra fuel containers from their machines before the trial started.

The problem is not going to be eased much this year when certain standard fit integral tanked machines have a lesser capacity than the models they will be replacing. The organisers, in my opinion have done as much as they can with their refuelling efforts.

Poster 2/4 sums it up expressly above, the organisers are certainly not in a position to condone additional fuel tanks of any make or construction other than what the manufacturer has constructed on the machine!

Furthermore, the organising club, will most likely not post anything on here other than what is stipulated in the standing regulations for the event.

The problem is quite simply this: that the 'range' of a standard trials motorcycle nowadays is far short of 35 miles, it's closer to 20!!!

Big John

These auxiliary tanks certainly are a quality bit of kit and they are designed for the job, however no one has mentioned one problem and that is that it will need filled at every fuel check as the fuel is used from this first. The filler is quite small and difficult to fill, once this is full the main tank will need topped up. - this will take at least twice as long as a normal top-up, increase the likelyhood of spillage and cause queues at the fuel stops.

i had an alloy handle bar mounted aux tank with a breather and a seperate pipe running to a t-peice in the fuel line,i put in a seperate fuel tap and so i only used the fuel when i had run out,i personally thought this was the best way of carying extra fuel,sadly the scrutineers in scotland did'nt agree and asked me to remove it,i ended up buying a bigger fibreglass montesa tank which the bottom fell out of after 2 days.

i've seen other people fail scrutineering with aux tanks and think the beta's will have big problems this year(i saw 2 run out on sunday at a road trial),i've got a 4rt and if i'm agressive in low gears it uses a lot of fuel ,i ran out on the jack wood ,twice in scotland,and also in the scott.that extra litre makes a big difference.

i have recentally bought one of these extra fuel tanks for my 06 beta, have not yet used it , how do you connect it up, i was only going to use it to carry fuel, unclip it and pour it into tank when needed, can you connect pipe to existing fuel pipe? if so where are you running the pipe, through the rubber where the throttle cable runs?what happens when you take extra tank off, do you block t piece.

On most bikes, you just hook the bike breather hose to the aux fuel cell, it has it's own breather, when the fuel level drops a bit in the bike tank it causes a vacuum and starts to siphon fuel from the aux tank.

I think you need to replace the stock rev 3 breather hose with one a little larger to make it work, but it should no problem, the idea is to siphon that fuel off first so your not riding with the weight of the fuel on your front forks all the time.

They are a good little unit to have just for long trail riding and fit all machines, so well worth buying one for that purpose alone.

• 2 weeks later...

The Official line:

The SSDT organisers realise that modern bikes are pushing-it to get between fuel checks with the ever decreasing size of fuel tanks.

I have been asked by a few people if Hebo auxiliary tanks will be pass scruitineering - The official line will be that HEBO Tanks will pass through scruitineering so long as they are securely fitted. The Hebo tank is specifically designed and robustly built for the purpose of carrying fuel and it is considered that for the purpose of carrying fuel on the off-road sections of the event they are acceptable.

Competitors are reminded that they are responsible for the legality and roadworthiness of their bikes while on the public highway.

At particularly busy or short staffed fuel checks riders wishing the auxiliary tank topped up may have to wait a little longer, and there may be fuel checks where the staff have been instructed not to fill them