Beta's Extra Fuel Tank.

asc

i had something similar to this all plumbed in on a t peice, the first year at the ssdt i used this on a montesa and after a couple of day i was refused the extra fuel ,the year later i failed scruteenering with the auxillary tank fitted.have the rules changed?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point asc! At one time the Edinburgh Club Chief Machine Examiner forbade (that's a good word!) the use of auxiliary fuel tanks. I know for a fact that Shirty had several guys with them fitted and they were asked to remove them (before the start) as it was in the regulations that no fuel tank other than the main fuel tank would be permitted.

The primary concern was that a rival manufacturer/importer or competitor, could have protested about the 'illegal' use of said auxiliary fuel cell.

Need to check the supplementary regulations of the event for that one... unless a kind soul is prepared to post it here?

Big John

Most guys carry fuel in their rucksacks in any case.

I have seen guys pushing their bikes off the moors, the army lads also yomping across the moors with jerry cans..................both not funny!!!!!

Might be true, but the club cannot legally condone such practices. None of this matters until there's an accident. The fear is that the club is sued for letting the rider do something unwise.

I have no connection to EDMCC

Bikes have changed a lot since the rules were made, and just can't get the distance they once used too.

Having more fuel stops would be a lot more expensive than riders buying and fitting a auxiliary unit.

The auxiliary fuel cell, is made for the job, the plastic bottles etc are not, and bikes do run out of fuel, so many riders will take a drop with them to avoid pushing the bike and loosing time.

I think it make's sense to permit a properly constructed tank that fit's all bikes and is fair for all riders to have the option to use one.

I agree. The Hebo auxilliary tanks are a good way to carry a little extra fuel. A few local riders have been using them for years, for long practice rides. No ones ever had a problem with one. Did go to a trial with it on once and bumped into a member of the SSDT organising club. He rekoned it would still not pass scrutineering. I think they are a good idea but someone would need to do a bit of work with the club to get the regulations updated.

The answer to the question is this: What does it state in the regulations for the SSDT?

It is the regulations coupled with the specifications in the TSR's in the ACU handbook which dictates what is and is not permissable!

Big John

What does it state in the regulations for the SSDT?

Big John

Rule 6.3 Fuel tanks should be capable of holding sufficient fuel for for at least 35 miles

The club has addressed this and tried to get the fuel checks closer together with some checks in the middle of the moors, but modern bikes still run out occassionally. If the moors are dry you will flow, if the moors are wet you struggle and use more fuel...Fact!!!

Rule 6.4 Any competitor carrying fuel in any receptacle other than the fuel tank whilst riding the machine may be excluded

Chance the rider takes of being excluded I bet out of the 270 entries 90% would carry fuel rather than push it off the moors. Maybe the reason the club havn't implemented the exclusion rule is they don't want 200+ bikes on the moors out of fuel :thumbup:

Its in the regs if a rider has an accident while carrying fuel I would imagine the club are covered by Rule 6.4

There is no other trial like the SSDT where you have long, long moor crossinigs away from any civilisation so its tough for the club, don't stir up a hornets nest on this issue otherwise the SSDT will become a road based trial and having ridden it a ''couple'' of times that is not what we want.

in long distance off road trials I have caried one of these ( in my bum bag) http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/review...5/rgn/4/sp//v/1

never had to use it but at 9 quid its a steal just in case ( other brands and retailers are availble)

If you need to carry that much spare gas with you in Scotland you've done a Kinnel & you're heading for Skye. One of those little bottles you get with screen wash is usually enough but then I've never carried one, honest.