Does Anyone Recognise This Frame?

honda_trials

Funny that! Ive had John Dickinson at T&MX News have a look at these very photos and he reckons it could be a derivative of the Beamish Suzuki frame, it looks very like the handiwork of the Beamish frame creators!

The bike belongs to 'Manuel C' of Sotobike club, doesn't it?

Big John

Funny that! Ive had John Dickinson at T&MX News have a look at these very photos and he reckons it could be a derivative of the Beamish Suzuki frame, it looks very like the handiwork of the Beamish frame creators!

The bike belongs to 'Manuel C' of Sotobike club, doesn't it?

Big John

Hi Big John,

I see the similarity with a Whitlock frame but look at the welding by the rear shock mount - that is not quality work and Mick Whitlock usually brazed rather than welded and to a high standard. I will stand corrected if anyone knows better but I don't think that is his work. Will we see you at Telford this weekend? Look me up, I will be on the Beamish stand in the main hall.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Big John,

I see the similarity with a Whitlock frame but look at the welding by the rear shock mount - that is not quality work and Mick Whitlock usually brazed rather than welded and to a high standard. I will stand corrected if anyone knows better but I don't think that is his work. Will we see you at Telford this weekend? Look me up, I will be on the Beamish stand in the main hall.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

JD threw another name into the mix, that's why I didn't specifically say it was the handiwork of Mick Whitlock! Yes I'll be there all day saturday, so hopefully see you at some point in the day!

Big John

Steve was from around the Midlands originally and used to practise in our local quarry along with Arthur Browning and Dave Smith (enduro rider, nice bloke sadly no longer with us)

As well as being a Bultaco sponsored rider Steve was quite innovative and used to come up with his own designs for trials frames/swingarms (and other stuff including BMX) He had made various frames throughout the 70s, not sure exactly which bikes for apart from Bultaco.

John Collins has one of Steve's Bultacos which he rides in Sammy Miller events now and again. It has a novel airbox/fuel tank layout.

No idea if that Montesa is one of Steve's or not. It is so close in design/appearance to the standard Mont frame though.

Forgot to mention, he lives in Cornwall/Devon somewhere now (or did at least) no longer involved in trials

Edited by Woody