Balance Training

Work on your balance first without the bike;

Single leg balance, you should be bare foot and able to maintain 30 seconds to a minute without too much effort. Look for signs that its difficult such as having to shift bodyweight or gripping the floor with your toes.

Progress to the same with eyes shut, can be made more difficult by adding ear defenders but make sure your in a clear space.

When your good at that work on your tilting and righting reflexes. Use a wobble board or swiss ball to work on your tilting reflexes which is obviously useful in trials. Next have someone gently throw a ball etc for you to catch which will help you work on righting reflexes (think like when you step on a moving walkway at the airport and you have to catch your balance quickly).

Then to make it a little more functional do the same on a bike, have someone gently push you while you maintain your balance.

hey,

i train my balance with a coin on my fatbar mount, if it drops you tilt the bike to much (engine not running or it shakes off) after e few days i add more pressure to the tires in steps up to 2 bar. it works great just practise 10 min a day (i do it in my shed).

have fun

regards bob

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure this has been mentioned on this site before and i am no expert having just got back into trials after a number of years road racing but i will let you know how i practice.

1 Use the tyre pressures that you would use in competition.

2 Place you bars half way between straight ahead and full lock (i point mine to the left)

3 Place your feet on the pegs and if the bike starts to fall to the left turn left slightly on the bars and if it starts to fall to the right move the bars a little to the right.

I have a trials pushbike but find this of little use regarding balance (just my opinion)

I find that if the engine is running that it is easier to ballance the bike,could it be the gyroscopic effect of the crank? or purely physcological?

let me know what you think.

And of course if you have your engine running make sure you are in a well ventilated area ie

outside :guinness:

I am sure this has been mentioned on this site before and i am no expert having just got back into trials after a number of years road racing but i will let you know how i practice.

1 Use the tyre pressures that you would use in competition.

2 Place you bars half way between straight ahead and full lock (i point mine to the left)

3 Place your feet on the pegs and if the bike starts to fall to the left turn left slightly on the bars and if it starts to fall to the right move the bars a little to the right.

I have a trials pushbike but find this of little use regarding balance (just my opinion)

I find that if the engine is running that it is easier to ballance the bike,could it be the gyroscopic effect of the crank? or purely physcological?

let me know what you think.

And of course if you have your engine running make sure you are in a well ventilated area ie

outside :closedeyes:

IMO this is good advice.

Just remember to also keep the brakes locked when balancing.

Work the front under brakes, to get some purchase at rest.

Keep your feet out on the pegs, end of the peg should be in the middle of your foot.

Knees bowed wide, to allow the bike to move independently of your body and lower your centre of gravity.

I use the same technique on my trials pushy, with a bit more pedal rocking. Not the same feel but similar.

I think it all helps, even the Wii. Riding more is the best though.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to know how long it takes as an average to master balancing.

I've been riding trials for two years and finally decided to work on my balance. I've been practicing pretty much everyday for a month, but I'm going nowhere fast.

Will it take me months/years to get it ?

I've been riding trials for two years and finally decided to work on my balance. I've been practicing pretty much everyday for a month, but I'm going nowhere fast.

Have you got the bars turned one way or the other and the back or front (or both) brake on? With the front brake on with one finger and the bars turned a couple of inches off full lock you can find the balance point and get your feet on the footrests. Then use small adjustments of steering lock, either way, to catch your balance as it varies. Make sure your tyres have not got too much pressure in them as that makes it harder to balance. It's sometimes easier as well when you're starting out to practise stopping after riding a short distance as you're already in balance when you stop, with your feet on the rests.

Edited by Wherry

I can stay on bike for a minute or two already and I've been riding trials for only 3 months. I practice balance 5 minutes every day.

I found it's easier at first to have the front wheel in a slight hollow in the ground, not much, just enough that as

you move the bars the tyre acts against the inside of the depression. I am after getting a bit better at it myself,

dropping the tyre pressure helped too. :D

Edited by Daithi

hi all

I have been trying to improve my balance lately and was wondering if anyone has some tips or techniques they use to improve?

I have a trials bycicle and i use it alot to try and improve.

any help welcomed.

max

hiya matey, i would suggest stabalisers for you!! :D

• 4 months later...

Riding since just before may and picked it up pretty quick (however i think MTBing and BMXing might have helped). I just practiced doing continuos full lock circles and then with my body in a different position and leaning my bike over more etc. I can now balance stationary for as long as i want. I have also practice kickstarting the bike whilst balancing (this got me out of a fair few stalls as if you don't dab whilst stalled, you can continue).