Bert Flood-bultaco Man

dabdab

Sadly I have to report, particularly for our Australian members, the death of Bert Flood, Master Tuner.

Bert imported Bultacos into Australia for the state of Victoria but it is as a racing tuner he will be most remembered.

( Big John, you will remember he brought out Vic Allen to ride in Australia )

Bert was famous with the Bultaco factory of being able to tune their Bultacos in ways they had not thought of before.

A week before his death on Friday 30 Jan, he was in charge of tuning the TSS of Ginger Malloy as it beat everything in its class at Phillip Island

Sorry to hear that.

Yes indeed Bert arranged for Vic Allan to ride the series in Aus back in 1976. I still have a race shirt, think I posted a picture of it here somewhere. Vic managed to beat Gaston Rahier who rode factory Suzukis at that time!

It has 'Golden Breed' on the front above 'BULTACO' and Vic's name down both sleeves, of course on the back it had 'Bert Flood Motorcycles'

Big John

Sad to hear also.

My dealings with Bert were with a KTM Enduro purchase in the mid '80's from another state.

I remember him to be most helpful and knowledgeable, no worries freighting parts, backup for me remotely was second to none.

He even photocopied the WhitePower fork shop manual for me, as the new upside down forks were not the norm back then.

I met Bert when competing at a longtrack at Seymour near melbourne in 1973. I was riding a works Hagon shortstroke JAP for the Pommie team against the Aussies. Phil Crump , (Jasons dad) was riding a ridiculously fast 360 Bandido engined Hagon that Bert had worked his magic on. Very hard thing for Phil to ride but he gave us all a pretty hard time considering how inflexible a big two stroke is compaired to a very good JAP on methanol. I believe this machine of Berts also held the Australian motorcycle land speed record at this time at over 150 mph. amazing for an air cooled single cylinder two stroke. RIP Bert.from as I was known Super Pom.