Would It Be Good To Do Weights

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would it be good if i did weights to help with my trials riding?

Josh

Yes, work on training functionally, so avoid machines and uses free weights, kettlebells would be good. Try to think of all 3 planes of motion, too many people get stuck in saggital and frontal plane exersises (think lateral raises and biceps curls that you see in gyms every day) Anatomical Planes Site Link when in actual fact the transverse (or horizontal) planes is most important for trial, sport and any movement you'll make during the day. (Think rotational exercises, push/pull patterns, woodchops etc)

Don't get to hung of on doing any particular set of repetitions, its often popular to do low weight/high reps but trials is more of an anaerobic (intense short blasts) sport than aerobic one such as long distance running. Evaluate your riding style and the type of competition you ride in and plan your workout to suit. In something like the Scott you go past the point of being able to work aerobically so its defiantly anaerobic work thats needed. Depending on your skill/fitness/ability will help you know how much anaerobic demand you have to ride.

One thing is see in a lot of aerobically trained athletes is that they're often burned out in that energy system due to it being over trained and often see more benefit from switching their training plans very regularly.

One of my current training plans for scotland is;

Front Squats 65kg working up to 80kg by the 5th set.

Multi-directional lunge - Bodyweight

Single Leg squat - Bodyweight

Bent over row - 40 kg

Pull ups - Bodyweight

Hanging reverse crunch - Bodyweight.

I'd recommend that whatever reps you start with you focus highly on tempo of the repetition. Start with something like 3 seconds on the lowering phase and 3 seconds to return. The biggest problem i see in gyms is people upping the weight then doing the exercise faster (less time under tension = less volume) As you progress you can move to more natural quick intense movements which will replicate chucking a bike around. Theirs no end of times when pure strength has got me through situations where my lack of ability has let me down.

Hmmmm you can tell University is shut today as I have far too much time on my hands :thumbup:

Energy Systems Website

As stated above, you need to be looking at high reps with very light weights, you are not trying to bulk-up!

Warning,take it easy,3 or 4 sets of these does make you wanna puke ...at first---like this fella :thumbup:

Billy Craig may be the best person to advise here.

My brother goes to a 'meat-neck' ,'roid gym ( you know the type) twice a week and once decided to try this workout there,when he was finished the gym owner told him not to do it again as (I quote): ''We don't do fitness here''?!??. :wub:

PS..By the time I had finished typing BC had posted ahead of me...

Edited by HAM2

When I did training at Meadowbank, every session started with running up and down the grandstand, ie up and down every set of steps, then round the terraces. As we got fitter the warm up was double. Lots of reps, lighter weights. Try to balance opposing mussels (not sure of terminology) Used to see bodybuilders with curly arms from concentrating on their bisepts. (sp ?)

One of my current training plans for scotland is;

Front Squats 65kg working up to 80kg by the 5th set.

You sure about this one Billy? :thumbup:

How many reps can you manage at these weights..aren't you developing big ,easily fatigued, heavy muscles this way instead of the 'rapid-fire' shock absorbers that we all need to last a full trial?

Wayne

Warning,take it easy,3 or 4 sets of these does make you wanna puke ...at first---like this fella :thumbup:

Thats a pretty good workout, I'd drop out bit were he drops the bar behind his head as it causes a whole host of issues with the cervical spine and seeing as trials riders are already generally very forward with their head position it would lead to shoulder impingement syndromes and ultimately arm pump, its the anerobic demand that makes people :wub:

Try to balance opposing mussels (not sure of terminology) Used to see bodybuilders with curly arms from concentrating on their bisepts. (sp ?)

You mean people that look like their carrying a rolled up carpet under each arm. A general rule is unless the person is well balanced muscularly (and they very rarely are) then do 3 back exercise for every mirror muscle (chest, biceps etc). Also work the areas your weak first.

You sure about this one Billy? :thumbup:

How many reps can you manage at these weights..aren't you developing big ,easily fatigued, heavy muscles this way instead of the 'rapid-fire' shock absorbers that we all need to last a full trial?

Wayne

Start at 10 reps for the first set and work it in a pyramid set so I'm down to 4 reps by the 80 kg and then work my way back to the 10 reps. If my total training plan was based around this type of work your right, i'd loose function but this is just what it takes to fatigue my neck and abdominal muscles sufficiently. I use a front squat to condition my neck to be able to cope across the moors. After years of doing club trials my first ever road trial showed up a weakness as i had a headache for 3 days from the weight of the helmet. I wouldn't recommend anyone else dropped straight into them sort of weights but I've been training for around 10 years and did all the groundwork so thats a pretty safe weight for me to lift.

I work at a quick 1:1 tempo with that particular exercise to strengthen my ability to drag the bike with me. :wub:

Everyones seen guys in the gym, it takes shifting some serious weight, and i mean 1 rep max kind of stuff to seriously build massive muscles, diet has to be spot on and the persons hormones have to be right which is why the big guys are usually geneticlly gifted or have been on the 'roids.

I'm 75kg and lean not bulky, if i wanted size I'd have to train the CP (creatine phosphate) energy system which would be very low reps/very high weight.

1. For trials training (not size of muscles, etc.), which is better, 10 reps or 20 reps, or what?

2. Do you guys pick enough weight so that you usually "FAIL" at the desired number of reps, or if you choose to shoot for, say, 10 reps, is the 10 reps SHORT of "fail" so you could go plenty more reps because you chose a weight that's currently short of the "fail" weight?

Thanks!