Road Registering A Trials Bike Nightmare!

jonny186

Hi there, Im trying to get my bike road registered ready for the ssdt, Ive been to the dvla place to find out what i need to do. They say i need to get the bike insured off the frame and engine number first then then will register the bike. The only problem is i cant find anywere that will insure it without it been registered! Could anyone out there help me at all? Thanks Jonny

hi mate this happen to me a few months ago i had a beta techno 1998 model i phoned up the dvla and they sent out a pack for registering a bike it say that if you bike is over 3yrs old you got to MOT the bike using the frame numbers and get insurance using frame numbers and certificate of newness to reg the bike on a age related plate and they will want of of this before they will give you a reg number when they give you the reg number you got to but a tax disc before they give you a log book i did not go thro all this i just sold the bike and went out bought a 2005 gasgas that was road reg i have got insurance with bennetts at the moment but i think whan i wanted to reg the beta i was going to use carol nash but they said that they will insure the bike on the frame numbers but had to get back to them with the bike reg within 2 weeks or they would stop the insurance as they need a reg number hope this helps you

Just a thought, but have you checked your car insurance. Mine covers me Third Party only for any vehicle I'm licensed to drive/ ride so long as I have the owners permission.

That might be ok to ride the bike but won't help registering it sadly.

The last one I did, my broker issued a cover note on the frame number but wold only date it for two weeks rather than a month. Once I had the reg number, they issued the full cert.

I also had to take the bike along to the local DVLA centre at Worcester for an ispection. Once they saw it was a trials bike, they didn't seem to care about any road legal stuff at all, which was a big relief. They litterally checked the engine and frame numbers and it went through.

as society has become more risk aware over the last 5 years it has become very difficult to get insurance for a vehicle on the frame and engine numbers alone. for those too young to remember at the end of every street there used to be an insurance broker you went down put yor money on the table and your car / bike was covered. in todays puter age with insurance at the click of a mouse the scenario of temporay cover on a frame/ engine number only is gone.

so get down your local broker say hello introduce yourself and say you want a limited miles policy and you want something that will give a cover note on engine / frame number for 2 - 4 weeks.

cost wont be an issue as you wont get much if any choice. pay the money register the bike change the details to the reg number. folllowing year you can have a wider choice of insurers .. but.. dont forget the guy who helped you out in the first place..

as for the p65 bike that was registered without being insured.. like me the owner is probably p65 himself and has forgotten.. insurance is essential before registration..

as society has become more risk aware over the last 5 years it has become very difficult to get insurance for a vehicle on the frame and engine numbers alone. for those too young to remember at the end of every street there used to be an insurance broker you went down put yor money on the table and your car / bike was covered. in todays puter age with insurance at the click of a mouse the scenario of temporay cover on a frame/ engine number only is gone.

so get down your local broker say hello introduce yourself and say you want a limited miles policy and you want something that will give a cover note on engine / frame number for 2 - 4 weeks.

cost wont be an issue as you wont get much if any choice. pay the money register the bike change the details to the reg number. folllowing year you can have a wider choice of insurers .. but.. dont forget the guy who helped you out in the first place..

as for the p65 bike that was registered without being insured.. like me the owner is probably p65 himself and has forgotten.. insurance is essential before registration..

The only problem at the time (was registered for the first pre65 scottish that was on the road) was that DVLA office in Edinburgh said on the phone that they didn't need to see the bike, but when I got there they said they did. In the event they then came to my house to inspect the bike. They were not happy that the frame no wasn't on the head stock. Only accepted it as genuine when I showed them a picture in a Haynes manuel of the number on the engine mounting.