Montesa 348/349

trialsrfun

Can any one please tell me the differences between the Cota model 348 & 349. Was the engine basically the same, what was the actual capacity of each one. I seem to recall the drive chain was on different sides but then again I may be thinking of a different model Montesa altogether. Did they have electronic ignition, timeline of production, the good the bad and the b awful that sort of thing.

atb

TRF

Edited by TrialsRfun

Can any one please tell me the differences between the Cota model 348 & 349. Was the engine basically the same, what was the actual capacity of each one.

I seem to recall the drive chain was on different sides but then again I may be thinking of a different model Montesa altogether. Did they have electronic ignition etc that sort of thing.

atb

TRF

Chain drive in both cases was on the right. Nope, both had points. 348 was actually a 306 but the 349 was a 349 (or very close).

As a new Cota 348 owner, please don't quote me, but I think the 349 had a longer swing arm and thus a longer wheel base as well as being about 20 lbs or so heavier than a 348. The intake manifold on a 349 is a bolt-on manifold, where as the 348 is cast as part of the cylinder.

The 349 that I have for parts has a heavy aluminum skid plate that is integral to the frame, bolted in place. 348's have steel tubing downtubes with a thin mesh skid between the two downtubes.

Main difference engine wise was the 349 was a shorter stroke. More over square.

Wayne...

According to all my literature they both have the same stroke 64mm but the later 349 is 349cc with a 83mm bore and the earlier 348 is 306cc with a 78mm bore.

The most obvious difference, as already mentioned, is the earlier 348 has frame members (tubes) under the engine, the 349 has ony an ali bashguard

Steve

As a new Cota 348 owner, please don't quote me, but I think the 349 had a longer swing arm and thus a longer wheel base as well as being about 20 lbs or so heavier than a 348.

The wheelbase is a puzzle - I have a Montesa Honda manual that states 349 wheelbase as 1310mm (same as 348), but it seems to me that the first 349's had a longer wheelbase 1350mm as mentioned in this very interesting test from 1980:

http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Tr...ycle-Guide.html

Anyone know more? (i guess I should just measure my 1980 model!)

Steve

The wheelbase is a puzzle - I have a Montesa Honda manual that states 349 wheelbase as 1310mm (same as 348), but it seems to me that the first 349's had a longer wheelbase 1350mm as mentioned in this very interesting test from 1980:

http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Tr...ycle-Guide.html

Anyone know more? (i guess I should just measure my 1980 model!)

Steve

Montesa Honda or MH349 is a re-badged Cota 349/4 which then became the Cota 350. 349/4 had grey mudguards, 350 had red mudguards and red plastic tank.

The Cotas 349/4 and 350 were the last model in the 349 range and had a completely different frame and swingarm from the original 349 and the white tank 349 which is why you have differing wheelbase measurments. The MH349 is effectively a different bike from the original 349, they just share the same engine.

The Cota 350 is I think, what Toni Gorgot won the '83?? SSDT on but with the prototype 330 engine fitted.

Edited by Woody

Yes I do recall that one had two tubes underneath the engine and another a bolted on bash plate. Do they all have the same number of gears & how many is that. 20ibs is a lot of extra weight, is that a definite figure or just a guess because the bike has a weightier feel?

thank you all for the info, please keep it coming.

Edited by TrialsRfun

The 348s all came with the same wheelbase. The first 349 (the one with the red tank with a tube in the side of the tank as a depth guage) has a wheelbase approx 25mm longer than a 348.

The next model 349 (the White Wonder) has a wheelbase the same as the 348s.

The 349 frame is not just missing the tubes under the engine and at the rear loop, but is also more compact vertically around the seat/tank junction area.

The gearbox output sprocket on the 348 is on a taper. On 349s there is a quick-release mechanism and spline. The RH engine cover is different from 348 to 349 (to allow rapid change of sprocket)

The 348 came with chain guide tubes. 349 came with a spring loaded tensioner.

The White Wonder 349 has the fork tubes closer together than the 348. Not sure about first model 349.

The gear shift indexing on the 349 has a slightly different ratchet arrangement which made shifting more positive.

The 349 has a huge muffler compared witht the 348.

The 348s came with 1" handlebars stepped down at the ends for the controls. 349s came with normal 7/8" bars.

The 348 is a mighty tractor. The 349 is even mightier. Both take a lot of oommph to kick over.

They are both pretty much the same weight.

Edited by feetupfun

According to all my literature they both have the same stroke 64mm but the later 349 is 349cc with a 83mm bore and the earlier 348 is 306cc with a 78mm bore.

Yes you are probably correct I was dealing with failing memory or thinking Bultaco again! the 349 is more over square though.

Wayne...

The first model 349 had a different steering angle as well as the extended swinging arm which differed from the 348. They were a bit like riding a supertanker as they didn't turn too well, the 350 engine also had far to much go & was a handful. Common practice round here as the extend the slot in the swinging arm for the rear axel forward to shorten them. Handling was improved on the White Wonder model that came next but it still had a motor that was too harsh.

Yes, 349 motor feels to have more torque and bottom end pull than the Bult.

The comments above about the 349 being too harsh or fierce have surprised me. I've never ridden an early 349 or white wonder but I had a Cota 350 when they were new and a mate of mine has a MH349 now. I've found them one of the smoothest and most forgiving motors I've ever experienced, loads of torque but very progressive off the throttle, especially in comparison to early 325 Bultacos (M159) which had very quick power delivery (again, at the time they were new as a mate had one) The 350 I had still rates with me as one of the best trials engines ever. Maybe the earlier models were different, never having tried one I don't know.