Young Bernie...

pedronicman

I know its very hypothetical, but how good would he be today if he were that age again.

Always a question that causes me to wonder. How good would Jeff Smith be today?

I reckon that if Bernie was the best of his time and Toni the best today, unless somebody was truly exceptional the the law of averages would balance it out. Thus Bernie would be the best, if not nearly the best if he were 20 yo today.

M2Cw

Always a question that causes me to wonder. How good would Jeff Smith be today?

I reckon that if Bernie was the best of his time and Toni the best today, unless somebody was truly exceptional the the law of averages would balance it out. Thus Bernie would be the best, if not nearly the best if he were 20 yo today.

M2Cw

I think "something very special" just about covers it.....

Did you notice he wasn't covering the clutch or front brake ! ahh, those were the days when just had to ride it and keep it moving :rolleyes:

Aye, that's the way I do it, as I cannot do too many things at once!

The pice did sorta show ehere the bars were soo far back from the line of the fork it was limiting!

• 7 months later...

Was trials much better back then in the states?

Watching Bernie practice in the late 70's was impressive but never left you with the feeling that what you were watching was impossible. Unlike watching some of the current top riders which leaves you wondering where the sport will go in the upcoming years. Sure age has something to do with this as my son thinks its all possible. Was it better then...ya I guess.

Not easy to predict the outcome of these hypothetical questions I think?

I think trials has gone the way of many many other sports (if not all) and put it down in part to small step change evolution of the sports, huge increases in fitness at the top levels and general professionalism whether it be a ball sport, athletics, motor sport or anything else.

Would Ali had been able to beat a top heavyweight boxer today? or James Hunt Lewis Hamilton in F1 etc etc etc.

Probably not but Bernie was still a hero of mine of the time, well along with Vesty. Lejeune too but shame about the Honda bit! <runs/ducks>

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon