Daft Trials Injuries

grahamjayzee

We had finished an epic ride in Britannia Beach, tipped a couple of wobbly pops when a couple of us decided to go for a night ride. Up to the climbing area nearby (rock-climbing with ropes and stuff) they found a bench in the granite wall that we often dropped onto, turned on, then climbed back up from. Early aluminum bars were good for 12 months maximum and his were on month 13; he dropped onto the bench, promptly broke the bar at the right triple clamp which turned him right off the wall (40 feet down a 5-10 climbing pitch). Two broken feet, broken teeth and lots of lost skin. The buddy that was with him doubled him to the nearby hospital on his TY250 straight to the emergency entrance and checked him in. Forever known since as "Cliff".

Spencer

Edited by Spenser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P I think we may have had this topic ages ago ,But here goes

My best/worst trials injury was on a beta about 99 when fat pegs started appearing, I dropped off a bank hooked up the bars and pitched off the side of the bike,I sort of surfed down the bank on the side of the bike , then the bike stopped 33" off the ground and my legs are 32" long the left hand foot peg ripped my jeans and but cheek ,blood was pouring out so i asked my mate to have a look(poor sod), he fell about laughing, and said there where 3 big scrapes all stopping at my ring peice ,Couldn't sit down for a week :moon::(

Many years ago, popped a wheely and came off the back, jumped back on again hitting my right shin on the footrest. Then proceeded to go half way through a garage door, just for show! Still have a lump on my shin that I can flex, as apparently the membrane that hold the muscle in had ruptured.

Is that down by the river, a guy on a Bultaco passed me down there as I slowed and did exactly the same as you, he landed it but bent both footrests, then bounced over the bars.

was many moons ago (aboout thirteen years), and I have developed a taste for :P:moon: since then (probably the cause of most of my crashes now) so it is a bit fuzzy but I think it was down by a river :(

Many moons ago, riding my Fantic 175 to work one freezing cold winter morning and I had to stop at a junction about a mile from home. I reached down to knock the choke off and the engine just about stalled before I grabbed a handful of throttle to keep it going. It coughed and spluttered before I gave it a big handful to launch across the junction in 4th gear, I dropped the clutch - and took of backwards straight up the bonnet of the car behind me! The engine had only fired over in reverse - didn't injure myself but the car driver wasn't too chuffed with the two grooves off my back mudguard up the middle of his bonnet.

Not strictly in line with this topic ,it's about MX bike( but he did have a trials bike too):

A mate of mine re-built his Maico 490 and wanted a quick blast on it down the street.

I was on garage-door lifting duties (but he forgot to adjust the clutch) and when he clunked it into gear it bolted,blasted off, with him on board...until he got to me and the 1/2 open door..the door collected him and the bike shot out into the street playing pinball with the neighbours' cars :P ...Funny now though :(

At a trial over christmas, a mate of mine was following someone down a steepish slope then drop onto the track, the first guy stopped, just at the bottom, I heard the cry " you can't stop there!", looked round to see my mate trying to stop at the bottom, didn't go too well, he ended up with the back wheel of his bike upside down on top of the other bike's back wheel, and him upside down in the mud, no injuries tho, just a funny incident :(

Spenser, I think even I wouldn't have laughed at that one!

That was 20 years ago, and with the passing of time we all laugh about it, victim included (he still maintains had he not been "lubricated" the injuries would have been much worse).

Spencer

I was at vintage bike days a couple of years ago on my txt 280. I had ridden the demo and wanted to cool off and go for a ride. So I dawned my usually atire (shorts and flip flops) and went for a cruise. I stopped by to watch the moto x and when I went to leave i missed the kick starter and the end of it went into my calf about 2 inches. I toughed it out and have a scar to show from it.

Im dumb so i still ride in shorts and flip flops often....

:(

--Biff

Phew where do I start! I've seen bikes resting 10 ft up in trees, woke up after being knocked out and had my fingures inbetween the rear sprocket and the chain, and seen bikes impalled in burger vans.

One that does stick in my mind is a 4RT sidcar outfit cascading out of a section, landing back upright then like some posessed demon (Christine) accelerate into a scoobydoo WRX parked 20m away in a carpark, the monty was unscatched but the WRX looked pretty sorry for its self.

Final National Trial here in Ireland in 72/73 bolders section, stopped put foot down, left foot went into whole got stuck, trottle opened, myself and bike went in a circle, leg fractured inside media cartilage torn. had nee cleaned out and nee cap cut and released, unfortunately that injury is now coming back to haunt me.

Trials can be very hard on the body.

Vinnie :(

Edited by Vinnied

Phew where do I start! I've seen bikes resting 10 ft up in trees, woke up after being knocked out and had my fingures inbetween the rear sprocket and the chain, and seen bikes impalled in burger vans.

One that does stick in my mind is a 4RT sidcar outfit cascading out of a section, landing back upright then like some posessed demon (Christine) accelerate into a scoobydoo WRX parked 20m away in a carpark, the monty was unscatched but the WRX looked pretty sorry for its self.

I was parked next to that Scoobie having my lunch watching that section at the time. I glad it didn't hit my car as I had borrowed my brothers van for the day.

No injury but hard to explain to the passing dog walkers. Trying to clean a tight practice section with small round stones at the start of a steep climb. Kept lossing a dab or two, determined to clean it gave it a real handful, wheel spun, gripped, bike went right over my head and ended about 6' up a tree wedged in the fork of two branches. Took some time and help to retrieve.

I was working in my garage one day bolting on some new bling. A pair of new 'shorty' dog-leg clutch and front brake levers. Thought I'd better check out that they worked as advertised, so I grabbed my helmet and blasted out to the end of the driveway (say 80 feet away). Used lots of front brake to stop, then pulled in the clutch, put my left foot down and spun the bike around and blasted back to the garage standing up on the pegs. Ducked as I rode into the garage under the flip-up door; but didn't get my head down enough.

The bolt on the garage door hangs down about an inch and half when the door is in the up position. The steel bolt caught my helmet peak dead centre. This whipped my head back, which in turn rotated my upper body backwards, which pulled my fingers off the short front brake and the clutch levers. The Bike and I were now traveling without binders inside the garage and heading for the back wall (say 8 feet away). I missed impacting into the work bench. But the lawnmower handle was never the same again!