Daft Trials Injuries

grahamjayzee

OK, just for laughs and not wishing to offend anyone who has REALLY hurt themselves, but let's share some daft trials injuries/ accidents.

Many years ago I fell over at a standstill trying to push my bike out of a very muddy section after I had fived. I managed to land on the section marker and cracked a rib.

This weekend after washing my bike following a trial, I was too lazy to push it into my garage via the side door. Me, being Dougie Lampkin, decided to ride it in. I can attest to Rev3 bars being wider than my garage door. I can also tell you that the brake lever leaves a lovely white indent in your right middle finger. It didn't hurt at the time as my hands were cold and wet from the washing, but half an hour later the current Mrs GrahamJayzee pointed at my huge black finger and screamed. It isn't broken, but I can't get at the change in my right pocket today. Nothing new there then...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No nasty injuries but two ar$e over t*t moments come to mind...

I think it was at the Colonial, quite soon after the start we ride down a track with a fence on the right and trees on the left then we drop into the beck at the bottom and ride a few great sections up and out. I snagged the front brake on a fence post on the way down the track, instant right turn into the fence and over the bars I went - slight deflection off a tree did my left wrist in and the not so soft landing on my coxit whatsit hurt for days after.

Heading up to the last group before Clunes (going the wrong way round?), my front wheel disappeared into a hole and I knocked myself out. Duncan (TYZ then Scorpa) found me and and really took the p*** once I came round again :rolleyes:

Duncan (TYZ then Scorpa) found me and and really took the p*** once I came round again :D

Reminds me of 2 mates out on road bikes. Mate one for no apparent reason, missed the black bit and went straight into a ditch at 50 mph. Mate 2 obviously stopped and in a state of panic considered his options. Now I've never see a first aid manual that gives step 1 as:

"Rummage through unconscious mate's pockets to find fags and lighter"...

He was OK, by the way...

:rolleyes:

Observing at a trial last year riding round the lap to get to it I crossed an innoccuous looking burn, promtly fell off put my hand down to stop breaking a couple of ribs and broke my Scaphiod instead.....thankfully there was no-one around to take the pi$$

Just practicing the day before observing my clubs event---riding sections in thought I would try the next class up. Easy 55-Gal drum on it's side, with some little logs next to it. From standing start front wheel inches from barrel, did not give enough gas or enough unloading and got bash plate onto drum and promptly tilted to the right side, "Aaah I thought I will step off and life be good" It was alot farther down than I thought and my foot got tangled in the logs twisted ankle up really good. I came back the next day on crutches to watch for a bit. Wife was worried I was gonna slip and fall in all the new fresh mud from the rain that morning. :D

Many numerous times going over largish log and missing the little "catch" log on other side for front tire and promptly going over bars.

It is really kinda funny because it seems If you have a huge crash you break the bike but your body is ok.

Little silly crash the bike is fine but you mess your body up. :rolleyes:

Injury 1) My mate had an old twin-shocker (can't remember which model) and fastened the rear mudguard on with two over-long bolts with about 1 inch of thread protruding outwards i.e not inwards towards the rear tyre.

He ignored our warnings to put the bolt head uppermost and ..yes..you guessed it..he flipped the bike and gouged two slots out of his inner thighs, it was quite funny as he ripped his jeans off completely. :D

Injury 2) Me....can't be sure that it's down to the bike or not as I have a history of bone infections..but this time I've got osteomielytus of the right cuboid.

It's the bone up inside the arch of your foot...so it makes riding a trials bike pretty much impossible :rolleyes:

Just finished a long hot 2 day event. Still had to score a section in the afternoon. Removed my sweaty gear to something comfortable to score in. Just opened a cool beer and with out takin` a sip set it on the ground to start my `92 Beta. Damed if the kicker slipped. (started it with the right leg) Put the whole thing in my right calf. Three layers of stitches, a drain and I finally quit bloodyin` the bed sheets a month later.

Helped a friend prepare a Montesa 248 twin shock for sale. Waterblasted it so it looked lovely, then coasted it down into the garage. Having only ever had my 4RT, I didn't know about old trials bike. No brakes when wet ... demolished a lawn chair and ended up parked on top of the trailer. Only injury the lawn chair but will stick with 4RT brakes.

Between sections and zooming across a perfectly 'flat' open field of grass some 12" high - hit an old fallen telegraph pole hidden by the grass which had grown around it.

Must have looked like a landmine had gone off under me as I flew through the air with the greatest of ease.

Lineaway, my old 260 Zero used to do that. I'm sure it did it for revenge!

Stkman, that's a classic comedy crash!

A few years ago me and me mates were lucky enough to have access to acres of land that was being mined for gravel. There were many useable areas, but equally, there were acres of barren land to be crossed to reach the good stuff. About 4 of us were out including 2 guys who could handle a trials bike but weren't what you'd call trials riders, and the bikes were borrowed. We crossed a big area that had a 10ft high bank around it. Far side of the bank was rough grases down to a stream, near side was freshly dug soil. I was first and shot up the bank, stopped on the top and turned to ride along the top. Behind me there was a very loud scream followed by a revving bike and howls of laughter. One of the 'occasional' riders had followed me up with a very generous handful on my old ratty Beamish and completely cleared the bank. He was face first in a pile of stinging nettles inches from the water in the ditch. He must have travelled 30ft and by all acounts, half of that without any part of him touching the bike! He landed across the bike with the bar poking him in his lower abdomen.

He decided to go home and when we saw him in the pub later that evening, being the shy retiring type, he promptly displayed his gentlemen vegetables that were the size of grapefruits and the coloue of aubergines. Combined with a puffy and swollen face from the nettles, he cut quite a dash...

Those were the days...

:rolleyes:

Only been injured once. came up a steep hill and then up onto a rock, all was going well until I was ontop of the rock and needed a small dab to steady myself. that small dab tore the cartilage in my right knee!

One other comical one was when my van was parked on a slope, I opened the rear doors and proceeded to roll the bike down off the step, however a bit of wind caught the left door and it blew shut easily because it was on a slope. The door caught my left bar, and promptly sent me over the bars before id even got my lid on!

And then theres my wheelie crash on youtube....

All the best

Tom

And then theres my wheelie crash on youtube....

All the best

Tom

Hey Tom,I've watched that video before. :rolleyes: .it's nice to see a TC rider on screen..apart from Perce, is there any other footage of TC riders around??

This would make a great new thread...it doesn't have to be a crash..