Fantic 200 Choke Problem

russelld

Hi guys, Need your help, This 200 of mine still hasnt improved from way back when I first started this topic, I ve tried everything, brand new electrics and coil and brand new Dellorto carb aswell from Bill Pye that I just fitted this evening and still no luck - DOING MY HEAD IN.

Tried it with the Wes tailpipe off just to see if it made a difference but it didnt, it ran the same, What could it be? running out of options and dosh.

I wont give up though!!!!

Cheers Russell

Still thinking about your problem.

The reading of your plug suggests that there are no sparks at intervals.

In older engines the copper statorwindings can be damaged/cracked by age.

You don't have trouble at first with a cold engine, but as soon as the engine warms up the cracks will open and trouble begins.

I didn't read you have changed this part, maybe there is also a possibility to borrow for the test?

Kind regards,

Arie from Holland

Hi Russel, long time no speak....

You say carby and electricas are new? Ok.....new new or old new = another fitted? As I wrote, even new parts CAN be faulty..its not a honda and the QS systems are poor. The electrics are rewound by a guy by hand in spain if you have a stator from Bill.

...but here are some more ideas.

Is the tube on the fuel tank cap ok? Not a jiffy breather in alu..I have had these blocked? Glenn started on about the fuel tap....

Fuel Tap Ok? New from Steve Good available for about 12 quid.

Fuel Tube from Tap to Carby OK? Is an inline fuel filter fitted? Try without

Fuel filter just behind the inlet elbow on the carby ok?

Float height correct?

Genuine 200 Airbox WITH Trumpets?

New airfilter, very lightly oiled?

Airfilter Seal fitted?

Inlet rubber ok?= Take off and reseat.

Inlet Manifold to cylinder? Take off and check for leaks.

To do this start the bike and let it idle.

spray some brake cleaner into the area around the rubber and manifold. If the revs go up, you have a leak.

Is it the correct manifold? I do not know if the 200s and 125s were the same.

What about the large o-ring at the top of the slide? Or the one on choke lever mechanism?

Is the rubber cover on the gas cable that sits over the slack adjuster there?

How did you clean the exhaust? Burning out with a torch will destroy the packing in the chamber. It is wire wool. Did you cut it open and lightly repack?

The WES should not be causing the problem if its not over packed.

You say there are std jets fitted...I have had 44 pilot jets which actual varied in size...dito main jet. Maybe try the same but another...if you know what I mean.

If the plug is fouling and all above is ok, try going down on pilot and main jet. But do it one at a time. Also is the plug correct? New plug cap on the HT coil? These do break down with age.

Got to a hotter plug?

When Bill rebuilt the engine did he notice anything odd?

I have a 300 motor which has been welded all around the crank seal behind the stator. It runs ok but if not I would suspect a leak.

If all above fails, and you need mostly time and not money to do it,

try sellin on ebay............oops

Have fun and let os know

Lee

• 3 months later...

Hi Lee, Sorry I havent ben on here for awhile hence my late reply, I have dropped the bike off with Bill Pye again last weekend and he will get to the bottom of it, I will let you all know the outcome to this long long long ongoing saga asap. Cheers Russell

Hi Russel, long time no speak....

You say carby and electricas are new? Ok.....new new or old new = another fitted? As I wrote, even new parts CAN be faulty..its not a honda and the QS systems are poor. The electrics are rewound by a guy by hand in spain if you have a stator from Bill.

...but here are some more ideas.

Is the tube on the fuel tank cap ok? Not a jiffy breather in alu..I have had these blocked? Glenn started on about the fuel tap....

Fuel Tap Ok? New from Steve Good available for about 12 quid.

Fuel Tube from Tap to Carby OK? Is an inline fuel filter fitted? Try without

Fuel filter just behind the inlet elbow on the carby ok?

Float height correct?

Genuine 200 Airbox WITH Trumpets?

New airfilter, very lightly oiled?

Airfilter Seal fitted?

Inlet rubber ok?= Take off and reseat.

Inlet Manifold to cylinder? Take off and check for leaks.

To do this start the bike and let it idle.

spray some brake cleaner into the area around the rubber and manifold. If the revs go up, you have a leak.

Is it the correct manifold? I do not know if the 200s and 125s were the same.

What about the large o-ring at the top of the slide? Or the one on choke lever mechanism?

Is the rubber cover on the gas cable that sits over the slack adjuster there?

How did you clean the exhaust? Burning out with a torch will destroy the packing in the chamber. It is wire wool. Did you cut it open and lightly repack?

The WES should not be causing the problem if its not over packed.

You say there are std jets fitted...I have had 44 pilot jets which actual varied in size...dito main jet. Maybe try the same but another...if you know what I mean.

If the plug is fouling and all above is ok, try going down on pilot and main jet. But do it one at a time. Also is the plug correct? New plug cap on the HT coil? These do break down with age.

Got to a hotter plug?

When Bill rebuilt the engine did he notice anything odd?

I have a 300 motor which has been welded all around the crank seal behind the stator. It runs ok but if not I would suspect a leak.

If all above fails, and you need mostly time and not money to do it,

try sellin on ebay............oops

Have fun and let os know

Lee