Fantic 200 Choke Problem

russelld

Hi Everyone, Just had my 200 fully rebuilt and it starts and runs perfectly until it warms up, then it is as if the choke is stuck on, on taking the choke (top part) out the carb today I noticed that there was no o-ring in there (would this be the problem?) and the bottom part of the choke in the carb bowl, the rubber o-ring was present and looked in good condition. Is there anything else it could be? Cheers Russell

should be an o-ring top and bottom. Missing top wont make any difference....my bet is that the o-ring on the cold start jet at the bottom is bU/(ered. A new one costs 2,5o with complete carby kit. Worth a try i think. If not, what are the crank seals like. i have rebuilt 200s only to have the bnes crank seal go on the first trial

Lee

Hi Lee, Thanks for the info, I changed both O-Rings on the jet top and bottom but the problem is still there, The crank seals are brand new aswell and were done during the re-build, I had the plug out and it seems to be fouling up very quick, if i take it out and clean it the bike kind of runs as it should for a minute then just starts the "as if choke on problem" the plug is really black and wet, it has got a new aftermarket coil on it aswell, what is the correct setting for the mixture screw? is it screwed right in then 2 and half turns back out?

Cheers Russell

Pilot screw is ok to start.

My crank seals were new also.....

did you put exactly 1000cc oil in it? Try and ride it for about 15 mins, smoke and all. Then drain the oil. If you have less that 1000 cc,s its a crank seal. mine smoke like a steam train and used 400cc oil in 4 sections. It smellt terrible also...ATF does not burn well.

Is the carby ok whats jets are in it?

lee

Edited by Lee Harris

Hi Lee, I am sure I put exactly 1000cc of oil in, ill give it a try tomorrow and see how I get on, but to be honest it isnt really that smokey, I think it is just the standard jets that are in it, ive had the bike for around 15yrs and it ran fine before the re-build with that carb, but the bike had been lying around not running for some years before the re-build,

I will let you know how i get on, Cheers Russell

PS just bought a 303 today aswell to add to the collection.

Hi Lee, I drained the oil today and it was just under 1000cc in it, ran the bike for around 20 mins (no excessive smoking whatsover) the gearbox oil was still 1000cc so prob safe to say the crank seals are ok,

when running it the problem was still there, althogh it did seem alot better bottom end, its as soon as you are in 3rd, 4th and 5th and it just has no response and is basically spluttering along but again no excessive smoking or nasty noises, Could it maybe be electrical? I remember when puuting the flywheel back on that the pick up did not sit exactly square and I needed to put a little block of plastic behind it, just to kind of prop it up so that it would sit in line and enable it to get a spark, sounds dodgy I know but it worked perfectly like that many years ago and it wasnt until after the recent rebuild that i came across it and remembered why it was there, Cheers Russell

Ill send an email tomorrow regarding the 305 spindal,

I see what you mean on the ignition, although I dont think its electrical if you see what I mean. They either work or dont , especially when hot. The pickup position could be it. Is the pick up plate bent? Or the pick up damaged? Whats the carby condition like. Maybe the needle is worn, although i have never had one bad enough to affect the runng really. What about the exhaust, especially the silencer? I put a 300 together last week which was perfect round the garden but on a real climb it wouldnt rev out. It turns that the repacked silencer, was repacked by a numpty who filled every hole with wool!. Works out once I cut it open again.

L

Edited by Lee Harris

Hi Lee,I had the stator off today and staightened the pick up and just gave it an overall check and put it back together, and ran the bike and the problem was still there,then I changed the silencer over to try that but no luck, had another look at the carb and started to get somewhere, I noticed the mixture screw was about 4.5 turns out (dont know how that happened) but when I put it to 2 turns out the bike ran a hell of alot better but was still alittle spluttery top end but no where near as bad but I could not get the bike to idle?, what is the correct setting for the mixture screw? and just so I know what is the correct notch for the needle to be on (standard carb and jets) Cheers Russell

• 2 months later...

Ive tried and tested everything, BUT now I think the solution has been found after having a good chat with Bill Pye and also a great guy named Clive Taylor (hope your reading this Lee) and not to mention all Lee's help, the problem I found was the expansion chamber in the front exhaust pipe and not the carb, i had my pipe carefully cut open and found that a large chunk (caked in carbon) of the honeycomb mesh in the inside had broke off and lodged itself to block the exhaust gases travelling through to the silencer.

I am having my WES silencer re-packed also and getting the front pipe back this week so it has not been tried and tested but I am sure this is the cure to my problem.

WATCH THIS SPACE AS RESULTS WILL BE POSTED ASAP

Cheers

Guess what - It hasnt cured my problem although the bike ran slightly better, just put it all back together and tried it but still choking up, you can imagine how p#####off i am

C'Mon guys help me here, its got to be carb ??? What else could it be?

Russ

Hello Russ,

Older carbs are often very dirty in the small passages.

If you did not clean the carb completely you could try ultrasonic cleaning.

The best way to find out if it is the carb O.K. or not is to switch for another one (borrow/buy?).

That way you know for sure.

And is the carb you are using at this moment the right carb for the Fantic 200?

Good luck,

Arie from Holland.

Hi Martin, Good to hear from you again, I might just take you up on that offer, Ive just bought a 2nd hand one from e-bay but no way of telling what its going to be like, Ill give you a bell on your mobile if I get stuck, Thanks for the offer, much appreciated!!! Russell

Hello Russ,

Older carbs are often very dirty in the small passages.

If you did not clean the carb completely you could try ultrasonic cleaning.

The best way to find out if it is the carb O.K. or not is to switch for another one (borrow/buy?).

That way you know for sure.

And is the carb you are using at this moment the right carb for the Fantic 200?

Good luck,

Arie from Holland.

Hi Arie,

I had the carb out so many times and cleaned it with an airline also, the carb is def the correct one.

Ive taken your advise and bought a 2nd hand one and will try that or will give Martin (shazsdad) a buzz and borrow his.

I hope this is the answer!!!

Cheers Russ

Edited by RussellD