Basket Case Whitehawk Ty80

jon bda

Hey all, my first post on these forums. Purchased a bike i thought to be a standard TY80 the other day, after catching a glance of it rusting away in a friend of a friends back garden. After a closer inspection , and an email from a very friendly guy on eBay, it seems i have bought a Mk1 Whitehawk TY80. It is a bit of a wreck at the moment, but hopefully given time i can get it back into useable condition. Luckily i got my hands on it before the previous owner went through with his plans to 'modify' it with DT50 parts!.

jonbda-ty1.jpg

jonbda-ty2.jpg

jonbda-ty3.jpg

jonbda-ty4.jpg

jonbda-ty5.jpg

If anyone can point me in the direction of any info and pics on this bike, and also any good sources for spares i would be grateful.

:o

Edited by jon bda

Hi there,

we had one of these, most of the parts are fairly easy to get hold of.

If you are intent on keeping it original, start hunting for tyres now. The Pirellis originally fitted were special 20" front and 17" rear and difficult to find in useable condition as they haven't been made for years. There are Cheng Shin's available in 19"/17" but don't bother unless really stuck.

It looks like you may need new rims anyway, may be worth considering going for full size 21" / 18". I know these fit on a Mark 2 but you may need to check the swinging arm clearance on Mark 1.

Update your e-mail and I'll send you some pics

Regards

Cubster

Hey Cubster, from what i've been told already, the Mk1 was fitted with 16 and 18 inch wheels...looking at the swingarm clearance i doubt anything much bigger would fit on the back!. If you could send some pics that would be great, i have one solitary catalogue pic but thats of a Mk2...also, that seems to have a one piece seat and tank unit. Can you confirm that the Mk1 uses standard TY bits?.

Thanks mate!.

:o

Mk1_RS 'at' hotmail.com

post-12-1098909302.jpg

Hi there,

I'll mail you some pics now, but they're of a Mk2. The wheels do look smaller. I'll think you'll find it's all pretty much standard TY parts. The Mark 2 had a box section swinging arm, maybe that was to take the larger tyres / wheels ? The Mark 1 is standard TY80 with extensions on the end I think

Regards

Cubster