Swing Arm Pivot Shaft Removal

jandyb

Hi

I finally have begun the work to change the crank seals on my 04 300 pro.

I have now stripped down the engine ready to remove from the frame. Only thing left is to drive out the swing arm pivot shaft. Any ideas on how to do this without damaging any threads? Problem seems to be that the shaft is hollow and the hole in the frame is just as big as the hole in the shaft. There is no place to tap on the shaft.

(And yes. I have loosened the two allen bolts at the rear end of the motor)

Thanks

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

Hi

I finally have begun the work to change the crank seals on my 04 300 pro.

I have now stripped down the engine ready to remove from the frame. Only thing left is to drive out the swing arm pivot shaft. Any ideas on how to do this without damaging any threads? Problem seems to be that the shaft is hollow and the hole in the frame is just as big as the hole in the shaft. There is no place to tap on the shaft.

And yes. I have loosened the two allen bolts at the rear end of the motor

Thanks

-Jan

Jan,

I got a bolt about 15+cm long with the same thread as the axle, cut off the hex and and cut a slot on the non-threaded end so I could attach a screwdriver if necessary. The device can be screwed in to the axle and lightly tapped to drive it out. It also makes re-installing the axle much easier as you have some leverage to get it to align with the hole on the right side. With the engine back in the frame, be sure to not tighten any engine mounts until you get the axle back in.

Jon

Jan,

I got a bolt about 15+cm long with the same thread as the axle, cut off the hex and and cut a slot on the non-threaded end so I could attach a screwdriver if necessary. The device can be screwed in to the axle and lightly tapped to drive it out. It also makes re-installing the axle much easier as you have some leverage to get it to align with the hole on the right side. With the engine back in the frame, be sure to not tighten any engine mounts until you get the axle back in.

Jon

Sounds smart.

I actually thought the thought last night, but couldn`t find a suitable bolt.

Whats the clue about cutting the hex and make a slot for a screwdriver? Doesnt a spanner do the job?

-JAn

Edited by JanDyb

Sounds smart.

I actually thought the thought last night, but couldn`t find a suitable bolt.

Whats the clue about cutting the hex and make a slot for a screwdriver? Doesnt a spanner do the job?

-JAn

Jan,

The slotted end allows you to use a screwdriver to tighten/loosen it if necessary. Cutting the head off allows the tool to be used to install the swingarm shaft as, when sliding it back in, it's sometimes difficult to get the end of the shaft to align perfectly with the hole on the right side of the frame. The bolt helps to align it and also gives good leverage if you need to pull the shaft end around to get it to fit through the frame hole.

Jon