Highland Two Day

wallace

I mentioned the Highland Two Day trial in another thread.

I,ve been away from trials for about 20 years and have'nt kept up my TMN subscription, so I,m a wee bit behind the times.

It took place in the mountains around Aberfeldy. (Thats in Scotland)

It was a summer event; mainly dry rocky sections.

I observed at the event a couple of times and just getting to the sections was like a trial in itself.

From what I can remember it was a bike smashing, bone breaking event that made the SSDT look like a Womens Guild outing.

Does it still take place?

This was at a time when trials bikes had 2 shock absorbers and comfy seats. :banana: fourstrokes were "state of the art", and Steve Saunders was riding a bmx. :banana:

Many Moons Ago it was called the Aberfeldy Two Day Trial and started from the Cattle Market in the middle of the town. You had to ride along the river to get to the first sections at the Birk's o' Feldy. It was always a superb weekend. My old man rode the first two or three of them, think the first was in '78.

Two laps on the Saturday of around a 20 mile loop then a huge run on the Sunday, if memory serves 60-70 miles right out in the wilds of Rannoch. Places like Innerwick, Bridge of Balgie, Invervar ring bells. My dad always talks about the run over Scheihallion on the Sunday. I remember some awesome groups of sections, but bu**ered if I can remember many of their names (anyone remember some of them)and some cracking riders over the first few years, like of John Reynolds, think Nigel Birkett rode one of them. Like the Dan Stewart of the same era they were superb weekends. Too many years ago........

dy

Edited by Slapshot 3

It was the BEST two day ever - the routes were fantastic the sections were damn hard but the best bit was the beer

we used to go up on the thursday drink for two days ride the trial sat and sun and then drink for another two days - the town was taken over and welcomed us every year -

Now the interesting bit - there are a load of new trials riders in and about aberfeldy - with enough interest they MAY consider reviving the 2 day - how good would that be?

lets get a petition going

who would ride a highland two day trial?

I would :banana: