250cc Or 280cc For A Beginner ?

Sounds to me that a 10 on the front will help slow the bike a bit, makes a difference!

More great advice from copemech.

My dad went down to the 10 front sprocket and it made a WORLD of difference for his beginner-class sections! Do it. Makes 2nd gear more useable, too. Heck, now 3rd gear is even a possibility on some beginner hill-climbs where it basically wasn't before. I can do tight turns better on his bike than mine (mine has the standard 11 sprocket.)

World-class riders would likely NOT usually go that low in front sprocket, but they ride 7 foot vertical rock ledges, and need more speed. Expert-class riders stick with the 11 front sprocket as well, I believe. I've heard them complain after switching to the 10 sprocket.

Is there a big diffrence betveen 250cc and 280cc as a beginner... I have tried 250cc for a couple of years ago, and now i finally moved from mx to trial.

I bought a 280cc, but DAMN !!! .... it is difficult to get along with... and just hanging on to the handlebars is a full time job :P

Get the black (slower) throttle tube, instead of the faster white one.

. helps for me that im ten mins from my practice ground and can use it 7 days a week :P

Wow, I'm not really sure if I'd rather be you or Brad Pitt (he get's to, well you know, with Angelina Jolie, but you get to ride at an actual practice ground whenever you want....I'm envious of both of you.)

Seriously, you're very very lucky, and some guys would give their, well, you know, for the ability to practice as often as you can, at a good practice site. Practice is the key...and lots of fun, too.

• 1 year later...

i got a sherco 290 as my first bike which was a bit scary at first, but after a while of getting used to it i wud never have wanted anything else, now i am more confident i just manhandle the bike and tell it what to do, instead of it telling me what to do ha, also on the plus side i wont need to by a more powerfull bike instead of going from a 125 - a 250. altho getting a 125 does have its benefits my dad had a go on the 290 when i first got it and it dragged him along which **** him up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

got my monty bout 7 months ago took a little getting used to but glad i went for a 250 2t think if id brought a 125 ida been looking for the 250 within a month when i found my feet on it. just give it time and ya gonna get used to it

. helps for me that im ten mins from my practice ground and can use it 7 days a week :P

Agreed. I had two hour trial on a 125 & thought that was what I wanted, but couldn't find one so went for the Scorpa 250 instead.

I only get to practise a trial events & after 4 of them I'm feeling much more comfortable on the 250 & feel if I'd got the 125 I'd be wanting to trade up by now.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought myself a Sherco 290, I am 21 & 12stone. First trials bike and with a 42tooth rear sprocket & 10tooth front sprocket and slow action throttle...its an absolute dream! still plenty of power/torque in every gear! But a lot more handleable/useable.

My mates got a GasGas TXT280 Pro, and its a savage animal in comparison. Or so I have found, personal opinion. But with the above mods on my bike, like a say as a first bike is excellent, and as I get better will slowly but it back to normal.... :thumbup:

POWER! the way up & forward lol!...

• 2 weeks later...

just got a beta 270 after owning a tyz250 a few years ago when last doing trials. the fella I bought it from said it has a quick action throttle - that should be fun! if I get a chance I'm going to take it to my mate's farm this weekend or next to see how it goes before crashing into things at a trial.

When I was younger and had more money went straight into mx on a 250 smoker. you cannot believe how hard that was to hang onto having no offroad experience.

just got a beta 270 after owning a tyz250 a few years ago when last doing trials. the fella I bought it from said it has a quick action throttle - that should be fun! if I get a chance I'm going to take it to my mate's farm this weekend or next to see how it goes before crashing into things at a trial.

When I was younger and had more money went straight into mx on a 250 smoker. you cannot believe how hard that was to hang onto having no offroad experience.

Just remember that there is always this little thing on the left bar end called a clutch lever. It is kinda like a golden parachute! The friggin thing will not normally move if you pull on it just a bit!

If you learn how to slip it, and pop it, well enough---- well ?

Hello,

I starting to do some trial.

What's a good bike for a beginner?

I can choose between gas gas TXT 300, TXT 280.

Sherco 290, 3.2 4T

Beta rev 3 270?

I think your kidding

none of the above would be a good choice for a beginner.

James Dabill runs a flywheel weight on a 300 Gas Gas and hes british champion.

you need a 250 or less, all of the bikes have good and bad points so pick a clean secondhand bike no more than 250 then come back and the forum members will explain how to ride it / maintain it.